[TR] Early Morning Spire - Southwest Face

Z-Man

Trip: Early Morning Spire - Southwest Face

Date: 9/14/2009

Trip Report:

I read another TR on here that didn't care much for this route. I thought it was great. Doing it in September may have helped avoid the wetness which seemed to detract from others' experiences. A long two days worked just fine for us. I tried to save weight by not bringing crampons, but ended up chopping so many steps below the route that it would have been faster to just bring them.

IMG_4829.JPG

IMG_4831.JPG

IMG_4834.JPG

Lots of grass visible, but this was actually some of the best climbing. The tufts were easily avoided by stemming.

IMG_4835.JPG

I thought this short step was the hardest climbing, but was well-protected, and again the grass was easily bypassed with some footwork.

IMG_4839.JPG

The traverse around the corner was easily spotted and pretty damn cool.

IMG_4854.JPG

IMG_4869.JPG

Getting off involved some moat shenanigans, but that's why we carry all these fancy tools, right?

IMG_48981.JPG

Edited by Z-Man

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here, Here, that would be pretty fast for a slow poke like myself. I agree that this route is quite good and worth the walk. Solid, fun climbing at a reasonable grade, in a spectacular setting- what more can one ask for?

As Nelson has indicated, and you, myself, and others have found, September is a great month to do this route.