Cascade River Road blocked at mile 6

Dan_Miller

Just looking around and found the following on NOCA's Conditions Report:

Cascade River Road

(off State Route 20 at mile 106)

Partial

Elevation at road's end: 3,660'.

Gated and closed at mile 20, Eldorado Creek, 3 miles before the end of the road. Road is paved to ~ mile 10, then gravel with some potholes and washboards, but generally drivable for low clearance vehicles. Not suitable for large RVs due to steep and narrow sections and some sharp switchbacks. Please drive SLOWLY, road is narrow. Newly fallen trees may also block the road on occasion. As of Dec. 13, rockslide blocks road at ~mile 6.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a pretty recent update:

"Gated and closed at mile 20, Eldorado Creek, 3 miles before the end of the road. Road is paved to ~ mile 10, then gravel with some potholes and washboards, but generally drivable for low clearance vehicles. Not suitable for large RVs due to steep and narrow sections and some sharp switchbacks. Please drive SLOWLY, road is narrow. Newly fallen trees may also block the road on occasion. As of Jan 6, rockslide blocks road at ~mile 12 (Hard Creek Bridge)."

http://www.nps.gov/noca/planyourvisit/road-conditions.htm

When I was keen on winter ascents up the Cascade River road area I brought a chain saw and come along to clear trees out of the road.

Highly advisable - We were stopped 50 yards up the Sibley creek road about a month ago by a tree. Walked the rest of the road only to find one other tree about 1/4 mile from the trailhead. It would have been REAL nice to have a saw......real nice.....

"Gated and closed at mile 20, Eldorado Creek, 3 miles before the end of the road. Road is paved to ~ mile 10, then gravel with some potholes and washboards, but generally drivable for low clearance vehicles. Not suitable for large RVs due to steep and narrow sections and some sharp switchbacks. Please drive SLOWLY, road is narrow. Newly fallen trees may also block the road on occasion. As of Jan 6, rockslide blocks road at ~mile 12 (Hard Creek Bridge)."

http://www.nps.gov/noca/planyourvisit/road-conditions.htm

Thanks. I really need to remember my govt. websites, Ha.

I'm not entirely convinced it is recent and there is no date posted. I'd call the NPS station in Marblemount to double check.

Always in favor of talking with the rangers for up-to-date info, although I would certainly take the bold red writing mentioning yesterday's date as pretty intentional and recent... as of yesterday :)

• 4 weeks later...

Still appears that the road is blocked well before the Eldorado gravel pit parking lot.

Lifted from NOCA's Current Conditions website on 10/31/11

Cascade River Road

Mile 106 off SR 20, in Marblemount

Elevation at road's end: 3660 feet.

Partial Closure Road is paved to ~ mile 10, then gravel with some potholes and washboards, but generally drivable for low clearance vehicles. Not suitable for large RVs due to steep and narrow sections and some sharp switchbacks. Please drive slowly, road is narrow.

Seasonal closure at mile 20, Eldorado Creek, 3 miles before the end of the road. As of Jan. 21, Skagit County road closure at mile 8 due to rock slide damage -- also damage has been reported further up the road at mile 12 (Hard Creek) and other areas.

• 9 months later...

Just came out of the Cascade Pass area today. The NPS has closed the last couple miles of the road for the season...so as of Nov 2, the road is gated at the highest gate (near the steep S-curve switchbacks); the closure may go down to Eldorado when the snow line gets that low. Plan on adding another hour or more to your approaches.