bushnel backtrack gps?

genepires

I was wondering what experiences anyone had with this bushnell backtrack GPS device.

Seems like a good GPS for someone who relies on paper maps and plain ole common sense but would save my ass when things go wrong. from what I can tell from the ads:

pros-

simple back track and setting waypoints

shows altitude and temp and distance to waypoint

$90 retail

small (4"x2"x1")

cons-

only 5 waypoints

no downloadable maps

So my questions are for people with more expensive GPS is:

do you plot more than 5 way points on a outing?

Do you really need to download a map for where you go? (do you mainly use the backtrack feature?)

for anyone with a bushnell, how good has the reception with satelites been?

If you have any other opinions regarding this GPS, I would like to hear them also.

thanks for your helpful responses and the smart ass ones too. :)

Edited by genepires

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have at times used more than 5 waypoints, but it has never been crucial. 2 or 3 plus a good paper map and compass skills work great.

Several times I have used downloaded maps, but I was never impressed enough to fork over the $100 to get a good set of maps on a CD. The screen can never show enough area to be useful for navigation.

If i even remember to bring it, my GPS has become more entertainment so after a trip I can download my route into google earth and show it off to my friends...

I haven't actually used one yet... i'm in the market for a gps and saw it. I am leaning towards one of the basic garmins with an altimeter as I don't have an altimeter watch just my dads old dial altimeter which is bulky.

They have a cool search tool on the garmin site that lets you select the features you want and shows you which gps matches it. Amazon seems to have good prices.

Is the etrex user friendly?

I have one and I think it is very easy to use, but that's becasue there aren't many functions. You can borrow it if you want to try it out.

Just take me out climbing again and I will bring it along. :wave:

I have bought 2 ABC watches in the past and both have failed. I want an ABC watch you can wear around your neck like a coach's stop watch. Anybody know of an inexpensive watch like that???