New to Ice Climbing

EthanH

I'm not sure if I should post this here, in the noob forum or in partner call etc.

Anyways, I am looking to get into Ice Climbing this year and am wondering whats the best way to do it if you don't know anyone who ice climbs anymore?

Go find somewhere to TR in WA? (from what i gather i should put a "haha")

Anyone wanna take me out? =)

Gear wise, i'm pretty poor currently. But have $ to buy.

I do have a full trad/sport climbing rack (singles) and am located in bremerton.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey I know how you feel. Its a bit tough to convince the old gray hairs to take a newbe along. You know how it is every one is busy and most people have a few semi-perminet climbing partners.

I fairly new to ice, but have gone out with some vet and I'm willing to go out with anyone willing to try hard, and who has a bit of (uncommmin') sense.

Step one is get your own Ice tools. I searched around and got a set of BD vipers for under $200. It the one thing you must have to really get into the sport. Any 12 point crampons will work. With that said a good set of mono points are worth the money your looking $110 used plus or minus, or about $180 new.

If the Ice comes in some were close I'd bring you out with out your own tools and we could set up a top rope. I'm out in Sumner

I'm always looking for partners. Anyone who wants to go PM me.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm head to tootsie roll falls this saturday, in Ellensburg. I have never been there before and its kinda small (30ft), but I hear its a good place to practice. It has been cold there and as far as I can tell no new snow. so if you or anyone wants to go let me know. With or with out tools is fine, but you'll need your own boots. 253 334 3372

"Any 12 point crampons will work. With that said a good set of mono points are worth the money your looking $110 used plus or minus, or about $180 new."

You should have stopped at "any 12 point crampon will work"

No reason to buy a mono point or a vertical set of points either.

Neither will improve your climbing.

Step one is get a good pair of ice climbing boots..the rest is easy and you can generally borrow tools at first. G12, Sabertooth, Serac are among the many good 'pons that will get you up WI6 or WI2. Used most can be had for $75 or less here in the for sale forum.

These might help some before you drop coin.

Also worth looking at the boot reviews. And trying a bunch on first.

http://www.rockandice.com/articles/gear/ice-climbing-gear/article/883-black-diamond-serac-vs-sabretooth

http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2010/11/cramponsmono-points-dual-points.html

http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2010/11/black-diamond-serac-crampon.html

G12s here:

n1099338977_30396488_331820.jpg

n1099338977_30396466_1075842.jpg

Another option if you're up for the drive to Bozeman is the Ice Opener on the 17th/18th of December. It's $20 for a day on the ice with the Montana Mountaineering Association, demo boots/crampons/tools (or bring your own if you wish), and lunch. The info is here, or you can click on the Prolite link and contact them for more info. Climb Sat. w/ MMA, and bring your rope/etc. and toprope Sunday on your own. My wife did it last year and had a good time.

Hey all, just read this post and joined the forum! I'm pretty new to ice climbing as well. Just decided to head out to the Bozeman Ice Opener. Have all the gear, looking for climbing partners, livin in the TriCities. Let me know if anyone's interested in gettin after some ice, I'd love to learn from some experienced climbers.

Thinking about checking out conditions at Bluewood for some TR laps on Sunday if anyones interested...

Thanks, didn't mean to hijack the thread!