Eldorado Tent - Yellow BD vs Green Bibler

Jon H

Anyone know what technical differences exist between the old Bibler vs new BD Eldorado tent?

I'm specifically asking about the fabrics, but other info is welcome. I seem to recall reading somewhere that there are 2 versions. One is more flame retardant (as mandated by law), but heavier and less breathable... can anyone verify? If this is the case, how do you differentiate between the two?

Also, the BD website currently lists ToddTex as the fabric material. Did they ever use eVent?

Edited by Jon H

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The colors are irrelevant to kind of fabric as are the logos. A while back BD changed the logos from Bibler to BD and also shipped production off to China (big surprise). Bibler logo tents will be several years old (even if new) now. Otherwise they are the same (except being imported).

They never have and probably never will use eVent, visually there is no difference between FR and nonFR fabric, but I believe it's labeled differently. The two different treatments are why there are sometimes considerable differences in listed weights between the same model tent (the Tempest is an example of this) on different vendors webpages.

I've been thinking of the Bibler I-tent, very similar to the Eldorado. (Eldo is slightly longer) For that, a couple of near identical versions exist. They're all very light and don't utilize flys.

First, they took the single walled Todd-tex fabric Bibler I-tent and put on some big-assed side zip access doors and called it the the Awahanee. Woot! Real similar to an I-tent except for the doors that an old guy who gets leg cramps at night would prefer over the i-tent. Same material.

On the Event fabric question: they took the 4 season Awahanee and used that design as a framework to build a superlight tent they call the "Lighthouse". Lighter poles combined with Epic and Silicon Nylon fabric make this thing sickly light at about 3+ lbs. Has the solid bathtub type floor they all share. Double Woot! You can do the research in depth on all of these, there are some differences.

On the "made in China" thing....can't speak to that except that Black Diamond has done a good job transitioning their quality when they transition their work over there. I suppose that their cost probably dropped from @$250 a unit to significantly less than $100.