Fire on Icicle ridge!?

slaphappy

I was cilmbing with a few friends near Castle Rock and watched a nasty lightening storm plow through the area late sunday afternoon. Noticed shortly afterward a nice sized plume of smoke rising from the top of icicle ridge just west of town. Seemed to grow pretty quick. The wind was present but moderate. Sure wasn't enough rain to help out. Any locals please keep us informed!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed 2 fires last night, the one on icicle ridge and one on Wedge mtn. Just got into town when they started last eve around 6. sorry, don't know status, but looking out my office window it doesn't look any worse. there was a bit of ash on the car this morning. The USFS has a website for fires but I couldn't find any updates.

I heard from some firefighting folks that the icicle ridge fire was actually quite big -- is that right?

I didn't know there was a lot left to burn up there that hadn't already burned, shows you what I know.

Anyway, I wonder if it's causing any access issues or damage to climbing areas.

Any updates from local folks is appreciated. Thanks.

I'm planning on calling leavenworth ranger station but it's too early in the morning right now...rangers must be sleeping still!

Steve

quote:

Originally posted by viktor:

has an update on the fires. not good.

Clipped from the site for those who don't click and search:

Fire officials were monitoring eight fires burning this morning near Leavenworth and Lake Wenatchee. Most of the fires were small, and none were threatening homes or private property.

However, several hiking trails were closed this morning, including the popular Snow Lakes Trail into the Enchantments southwest of Leavenworth. Fire crews may be sent out to look for hikers already in the wilderness if the fires start to get more active, said Ken Frederick, a Wenatchee National Forest spokesman.

The fires began as a storm moved across central Chelan County between 5 and 8 p.m. Sunday. Residents in the upper Wenatchee River Valley saw dozens of lightning strikes, and large columns of smoke were visible from Wenatchee and East Wenatchee.

"It's burning up a storm all around here," said Rob Newsom, a talk show host for KOHO radio in Leavenworth who lives up Icicle Creek. "I can sit inside my house and watch it all out the window. It's better than TV."

Lightning touched the ground at least 100 times in Chelan County during the storm, said Jon Fox, a meteorologist for the National Weather Service office in Spokane.

Six fires burning this morning in the Icicle drainage were in the Trout Creek, Cannon Mountain, Snow Creek, Bridge Creek, Fourth of July Creek and Icicle Ridge areas. The Trout Creek, Bridge Creek and Icicle fires were estimated at 20 acres.

Two more fires were burning near Lake Wenatchee at Butcher Creek and McCall Mountain.

Six 20-person fire crews and three helicopters have been ordered for the fires. No firefighters were working on the fires this morning until fire officials could set priorities for where the crews, helicopters, tankers and other equipment would be sent, DeMario said.

"Firefighting resources are very limited right now across the region," she said.

Pat McNerthney saw several lightning strikes from the deck of his home about eight miles up the Icicle Creek drainage. "It was a great show," he said. "I saw one big streak cut across the sky and hit on Cannon Mountain. Then I saw a puff of smoke coming out of the ground."

I spoke to the Ranger Station in Leavenworth this morning. The campgrounds in the canyon are still open and there are no immediate plans to close them. They have closed the 4th of July/Icicle Ridge trail and Enchantment Loop (Snow Creek – Colchuck) trails to keep hikers and gapers out of the area as a preventative measure. There are several fires in the Enchantment area: Nada Lk, Cannon Mnt. Etc. mostly high on ridges – most in a “watch” status. A fire above Victoria Cr (N of Mt Cashmere) is one of greatest concern at this time. There are a couple fires on the top of Icicle Ridge approximately above Bridge Creek and further east – also small at this time. The lightning fires in the area are primarily all at high elevations – some in areas that have burned previously in recent years.

There is a map in the Ranger Station depicting the fires. If anyone is in town and can stop by for a look and report back, TIA.

I was up at Suprise Mtn. monday and tuesday and there was smoke and haze everywhere. You could barely see Daniel and Hinman which are just across the valley. Got worse on tuesday, especially with winds out of the SE. Visability to the south east was probably only a couple miles. Continued to become more smoky and hazy as the day progressed. Left the area around 3:30. Any more recent info?

as of this evening, KOHO has usfs officials reporting that the Victoria Creek fire (on Mt. Cashmere) has grown to 150 acres, and the Fourth of July Fire (on Icicle Ridge) is holding at about 350 acres. Icicle Canyon is on Level #2 evacuation, which means the canyon is closed to recreationists, although residents have not yet been evacuated. Stay tuned - the forecast is hot/dry with increasing winds for Thursday & Friday.

For very good, live, up-to-the-minute fire status, the best source I've found in the media so far is KOHO radio based right at Harriet Bullit's compound on the Icicle.

Live interviews with firefighters, the F.S. etc. – no hype. Listen live (Realplayer, etc.) online at www.kohoradio.com

Leavenworth fire information line: 509-548-3187

Info on other Chelan Co. and Okanogan Co: 509-665-3591

DH