the great white north

arg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

arg - I spent 3 weeks in Lil' Swiss about six years ago - let me know what kind of routes you're interested in and I can try to suggest something. I also still have the articles on the area that we photocopied from the AAJ that I could send you. (you can send me a "private message" through the board with your mailing address)

I was so resentful when that Climbing article came out, there's a picture of someone tiptoeing out to the end of a diving board-like rock that overhangs a big face - I have exactly the same photo!

FYI guys, something to remember about Alaska glacier flying- it ain't automatic, it is a wilderness landing strip. People coming off of Denali, or whatever, earlier than their pick up date are always pissed when their pilot isn't available on their beckon call to pick them up immediately. Understand that these pilots have other people to fly in as scheduled, other people to fly out as scheduled. And as Paul is the only pilot by and large who will fly anywhere other than the Ruth or Kahiltna, he often has pick ups on remote glaciers and places where the weather might have prevented him from getting others out on their prearranged pick up date. Being stuck at Kahiltna Base for an extra day is not a life threatening crisis. These pilots, and Paul particularly, and professionals and they don't "leave you hanging". They are doing the best they can. But if you are out early don't expect to get immediate service. Just be thankful if you do.

Also, each of the Denali air taxis have an unwritten agreement to "scratch each other's backs" and help fly out each other's climbers when possible just to keep things moving along.

By the way, rumor has it that Hudson Air is not going to be in business this season.

I have flown with Paul at TAT the last 3 years!! I've never had a bad experience. in fact he brought us pizza and beer once. Also he was willing to fly us into the Base of the West face of MT. Huntington when none of the other services would because of deep snow. Sure we got a little stuck but nothing a little shoveling wouldn't fix.

Dale

Its true we got back to Kahiltna Base earlier than our pre-arranged date. We did not expect Paul to drop everything to come get us out. We arrived at about 10 a.m. and had the Ranger call TAT right away to find out how long it would be (Annie was back in Talkeetna with Giardia). Paul himself told the Ranger he wasn't sure when he would be able to get us out but he would know for sure by 3 p.m. I was standing at the radio and listened to the whole exchange. I'm not an unreasonable guy by any means but when 4 p.m. rolled around and still no word from Paul we started to get a bit miffed. We had the Ranger call again, and again Paul answered the radio and said he wouldn't be able to get us out that day. Right about that time Jay Hudson gave us a ride back. He also brought our gear back the next trip onto the glacier.

I can appreciate the need to maintain a business and hell, we had already paid so Paul had no motivation to hurry to pick us up. When we hiked across the airfield and into TAT to pick up the shit we had left behind we found Paul still behind the counter. A climber who had been picked up by Paul the day before said he had been there all day. Whether true or not I don't know--I do know that Paul made no trips onto the Kahiltna that day.

I know he's a climber and I also know his reputation for flying where no one else will go. Beckey uses him so he can't be all bad. I just know that my experience was unpleasant and I'll avoid using him if I can.

That's the scoop. I don't want anyone to think I'm spraying without reason.