Black Diamond Firstlight Tent

Lucky Larry

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It ain't perfect, but what tent is? TMO is right, you trade space and wind stability for weight and convenience. As for snow or other unwelcome debris, you can lift the entire tent (door down) and shake out whatever is on the floor. I had my Firstlight almost blow away on the Eldorado Glacier, but luckily had tied it to a deadman. I also love this tent, but try to take it for longer trips where the weather is supposed to be good. I have used it in snow, rain, wind, etc. and it has held up just fine. It helps if you really like your partner...very snug.IMG_1457.JPG

been happy with the rab summit mountain @ 4lbs`ish (the bigger of the two rab 'tent/bivis')

rab.jpg

its got some nice built-in guy-outs on 3 sides in addition to loops along the pole ridges. its pretty bare bones though, single wall, no vents, no window, 4 mesh pockets inside, door + screen door. and an instruction tag inside to "familiarise yourself with the rab summit mountain to avoid use in anger" haha

• 3 weeks later...
BD got back to me and said to place it endo to the wind and stake guy lines at corners at 45 degrees. I did not get a response to my asking about customizing it with additional guy points on sidewalls.
I bet you could take it to Climb Max (or maybe its OMC?) and have them bar stitch some new guy loops fer ya. I think they do that stuff pretty cheap, or at least that is the word on the street.

BD got back to me and said to place it endo to the wind and stake guy lines at corners at 45 degrees. I did not get a response to my asking about customizing it with additional guy points on sidewalls.

That's good advice. You probably got no response about adding guy points on the walls because it is a bad idea. The (formerly) Malibu Epic 1.6 oz fabric that BD used on that tent and its replacement is not strong enough to handle the stresses that a mid-panel anchor point would create. That is why the only guy line attachments on the BD tents are at the seams, and close to the ground to boot.

Take a look at the Bibler tents and you'll see that the mid-panel anchor points are reinforced. Trying to turn an ultralight BD tent into a 4-season Denali tent is like trying to drive a sports car across the Sahara Desert. In both cases you'll end up with a lot more holes in it than when you started.

That's good advice. You probably got no response about adding guy points on the walls because it is a bad idea. The (formerly) Malibu Epic 1.6 oz fabric that BD used on that tent and its replacement is not strong enough to handle the stresses that a mid-panel anchor point would create. That is why the only guy line attachments on the BD tents are at the seams, and close to the ground to boot.

Take a look at the Bibler tents and you'll see that the mid-panel anchor points are reinforced. Trying to turn an ultralight BD tent into a 4-season Denali tent is like trying to drive a sports car across the Sahara Desert. In both cases you'll end up with a lot more holes in it than when you started.

duly noted

duly noted
Why spend all the money on over-priced brand name crap anyway? We all now know you can get a MalWart put tent, for like, $19.95. From what I've read here, it's pretty much functionally equavelant to most expensive, brand name tents all the wanna-bees buy to look cool...

• 1 month later...

I've had my Firstlight out in some pretty heavy winds with no problems. I think that what you need to realize is that the firstlight is a niche tent. It may be billed as a three-season(?) but in my mind it is a one-season tent: cold. Unless you are winter climbing this probably isn't the tent for you. In fact, I've had this tent for four years and used it only three times in the Cascades (all with substantial below freezing temps). You will need a quiver of tents and shelter systems if you get something as specialized as the firstlight. If you want something that will be you go-to tent (good for any condition, light but not the lightest, etc.) then look elsewhere.

duly noted
Why spend all the money on over-priced brand name crap anyway? We all now know you can get a MalWart put tent, for like, $19.95. From what I've read here, it's pretty much functionally equavelant to most expensive, brand name tents all the wanna-bees buy to look cool...

:poke::lmao:

I did just that...not that I was worried about the seams bursting, just don't want any precip leaking into my tent. I've had mine for 5 years and it IS my go-to tent. It is willow-light, but has put up with all the weather and abuse I've come up against.
well now I will probably seal both sides now as the seams seemed to have stretched out some. yes the quiver of tents; I just took a Siltarp tarp 4 below t-line in the rain and the highlight 4 above t-line/sans rain. good combo. plus the Siltarp still works as a bivi sack if things get real ugly-haven't had to do it and hope i never will, and makes 4 a good pillow in a stuff sack.Yes, I do need a pillow 4 my good neck or it goes bad.TMI but i am considering having a panel w/ guy line put into the 1st light; many tents have reinforced areas w/guy points. what do I have to lose? my life if i can't depend on the tent. oh, the threads of this post, when will it end?

"WE all now know...." :lmao:

Spent a few nights in a real Walmart tent and that piece of crap dripped on my head all night, not to mention you'd probably need an ass (mule) to carry it.

Yeah "as we all now know" Walmart tents are a real good idea in real mountains like we got here in Wyoming, might be good on Ellinor, but I do get a kick out of what folks will pay for tents, I paid less for my Firstlight than you'd guess.

Edited by Coldfinger

this is getting funny. i did have a cheap-o yrs ago for the valley slum and i think it ended up costing me 25 cents a nite before it shredded. I hate to admit it but I was consumed by brand name shit 4 awhile when i worked in retail outdoor and made a few bad/impulse purchases. i should have researched what the big boys use-not that i will ever be on par/w them but 4 re-sale value. i am always amazed, I shouldn't be, at peoples remarks, such as, 'looks like you have good gear', with the implication in their voice that that's all it takes. Sometimes the product hype,(heres the bait) like Goretex is just like politics; all hype.

Ray Jardine writes that when he was summer

"wilderness instructor" in Colorado, he & his kiddies used exclusively builder's plastic for months on end. This apparently included significant periods above tree line.

Of course, the weather in Colorado is NOTHING like what they see in Wyoming......where the $600 tents are invariably required for mere survival..in August...due to truly savage conditions that must be endured......

Tell that to the 90 mph winds I had to deal with recently and oh yes we actually have glaciers and big ones here in Wyoming because it gets COLD.

Having spent my fair share of time using tarps (blue) and other primitive and improvised shelters in the Wind River Range, yes they do work and no you don't need a $600 tent and no I didn't even say that, I merely opined that some piece of crap Walmart tent don't belong here.

$600 tents are much more of a Colorado phenomenon since there is so much yuppie trash (although to be fair we do have Jackson) there, just love it when we get overrun with CO plates. Funny thing is that tends to be in August when we have such nice weather.

Anyhow, it can be quite amusing to see all the hordes of out-of-staters and their rico tents all over the Cirque and Titcomb, but fortunately they seem to be nice folks so I don't really mind even if my $90 tent isn't nearly as nice.

I bet you could take it to Climb Max (or maybe its OMC?) and have them bar stitch some new guy loops fer ya. I think they do that stuff pretty cheap, or at least that is the word on the street.
the place is called mountain soles and it is just a block or two south of hawthorne on 12th in se pdx... they do good work on packs and i would imagine that they could do something similar on a tent - except the put tent... they burn those to power the shop!