flying rattlesnake

I was leading a climb today out east. I was almost to the anchors, and all of a sudden a rattlesnake dives by me to a small bush. It literally dove off a little ledge by the anchors and went past my head on the left. Then it sat there and stared me down. I threaded the anchors with shaking hands and then slowly lowered, there was a draw about 4 feet in front of it and i was determined not to loose the draw, so I stared back at the snake down and talked to it in a calming manner and got my draws back. The guy I was climbing with, Tim Wilson, he was determined to do the climb and got up under where the snake was and said "That is a really big snake, holy shit." he lowered from there, spooky. Be careful out there of flying snakes.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap Paul! It's a flying Rattlesnake epidemic. Who knew that this kind of crazy animal behavior even existed? That's so scary. One moment you're moving on stone being at one with the universe and the next moment you could have a serpent come flying out of nowhere all kung-fu like and it's wrapped around your arm and you're looking at each other going WTF?.

Route name potential though: Rattlesnake Jam.

We do have a route over at wankers called rattlesnake, as I was rattled off of it. My belayer thought I was having an epileptic attack as I was shaking and downclimbing feverishly and erratically!

Although the worst encounter was getting rattled at on the trail at the base of sinks in WY, and back-pedaling and tripping and nearly falling off the approach ledge....

Edited by area51