Peregrine closures ending

g orton

Peregrine at higher elevations are fledging early this year.

The Umpqua Nat'l Forest is lifting its Peregrine closures after Sunday June 27 on the Umpqua.

This includes Acker Rock, Eagle Rock, Limpy Rocks.

Honeycombs and The Zen Spot are lower elevation and should be OK to climb this weekend.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Contrary to some reports of Beacon chicks fledging, after five hours of monitoring today, three of which had one of the chicks perched on the rock crest in front of the nest and parents feeding chicks down in it, David reports that the chick he got a long look at is still in significant enough down to be able to say its primary wing feathers have not developed enough for flight yet.

I'll be going out for another session this weekend and a joint session with David next week and will report the results of both of those as they happen.

No, but He said the chick was flapping it's winlots lot and given it was up on the crest doing it I would guess that probably puts it at 'soon' as in 7 - 14 days.

Not being able to see into the nest and observe the chicks is a real downside of of the rock crest in front of the nest. It only allows observations of the chicks later in their development once they can climb up onto the crest and that can make it difficult to know how old or developed they are at that point beyond trying to judge their development via things like presence of down, size, color, etc as opposed to being able to see when they hatched.

This is where a solar-powered, wifi webcam in the crack above the nest would be real handy. Maybe next winter, given the prices have been coming down.

Contrary to some reports of Beacon chicks fledging, after five hours of monitoring today, three of which had one of the chicks perched on the rock crest in front of the nest and parents feeding chicks down in it, David reports that the chick he got a long look at is still in significant enough down to be able to say its primary wing feathers have not developed enough for flight yet.

I'll be going out for another session this weekend and a joint session with David next week and will report the results of both of those as they happen.

joseph you are really official for not being official - who is this david guy and why is it that you seem to be so buddy-buddy with the guy?

joseph you are really official for not being official - who is this david guy and why is it that you seem to be so buddy-buddy with the guy?

From the same guy who's eight total cc posts manage to include these gems:

...river turd...

it isn't worth the trip - ...chossy and short

beacon pales...

...a giant dung heap

Given you don't care about Beacon and didn't get an answer from the other thread you'll forgive me for not wasting my breath here.