Aasgard conditions?

Sol

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We went up Aasgard on Friday evening. There were frequent sluffs caused by rockfall off Dragontail and surrounding peaks, but it was ok except for crossing a few chutes. Some aspects were slushy up to mid calf level.

In the upper Enchantments it got cold enough to form a crust you could almost walk on, but that went away shortly after the sun hit and we were glad to have snowshoes. In the lower Enchantment it was a bit better with snowshoes optional and the snow mostly disappeared below the Snow Lakes. I should have had my firn gliders up there!

We went up Aasgard on Friday evening. There were frequent sluffs caused by rockfall off Dragontail and surrounding peaks, but it was ok except for crossing a few chutes. Some aspects were slushy up to mid calf level.

In the upper Enchantments it got cold enough to form a crust you could almost walk on, but that went away shortly after the sun hit and we were glad to have snowshoes. In the lower Enchantment it was a bit better with snowshoes optional and the snow mostly disappeared below the Snow Lakes. I should have had my firn gliders up there!

I was amazed to see you guys(2 couples?)heading up there so late in the day with big packs on. did you use the snowshoes going up Asgard pass?

I was amazed to see you guys(2 couples?)heading up there so late in the day with big packs on. did you use the snowshoes going up Asgard pass?

Yeah that was us, we waited a bit and watched, lots of wet slides in the expected areas but I think Asgaard was reasonably safe. I knew it would be more solid than the Colchuck glacier route. We had great step kicking snow all the way up till near the top. We had a great camp up on the ridge with an awesome sunset and didn't bother putting on the snowshoes until the next day.

I'll post some pics tomorrow. We just did the loop and hiked up Little Annapurna, foregoing Dragontail because of the avy/rockfall danger.

Yeah that was us, we waited a bit and watched, lots of wet slides in the expected areas but I think Asgaard was reasonably safe. I knew it would be more solid than the Colchuck glacier route. We had great step kicking snow all the way up till near the top. We had a great camp up on the ridge with an awesome sunset and didn't bother putting on the snowshoes until the next day.

I'll post some pics tomorrow. We just did the loop and hiked up Little Annapurna, foregoing Dragontail because of the avy/rockfall danger.

wow, i'm really surprised that the snow was good for step kicking; Colchuck wasn't: how did u know that, or did you?

wow, i'm really surprised that the snow was good for step kicking; Colchuck wasn't: how did u know that, or did you?

I was up there a few years ago on a sunny May weekend and climbed Triple Couloirs one day and the NE Couloir on Colchuck the next. Weather was warm and sunny, snow was great on Dragontail and mush on Colchuck. The aspects aren't exactly the same but I figured it was close enough and the snow would be better on Aasgard than Colchuck Glacier. Fortunately I wasn't too far off. :-)