Lost Jacket on Tiger

CascadeClimber

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dru,

You are correct, I've never been in the Coast Range. Is pot the 11th Essential up there?

Let me back up a little bit. There are an endless number of chemical substances you can ingest to change your physiological or mental state. Why in fact your body has many chemical substances of its own that can do some pretty wacky things to you. Long bouts of exercise leads to a release of endorphins which gives a euphoric feeling, the "runners high" (sorry if that's another lame cliche), and I'm sure climbers can also experience this.

If you encounter a sketchy situation where you begin to fear for your safety or your life, you get that wonderful little shot of adrenalin, which quickens your heart rate, focuses your mind and speeds up your ability to process information, and allows you to pull off superhuman feats of strength or daring. Whoa, sounds like quite a rush.

And that was really my point all along. Without having sampled all of the other chemical options, I think the physiological and mental responses your body and mind can go through while climbing provides plenty enough of a rush and a huge variation from the hum-drum of everyday life.

well if you are done beating the horse is it tender enough to bar-b-que now!? i have this great cat/stout marinade that would just great with some rotisserie horse. maybe a side of cole slaw and some biscuits too!

grin.gif yum yum!