Food and tag lines

mzvarner

Being back in school made me realize I can't afford to buy the freze dried/ dehydrated meals all the time now. However I'm tired of taking just powdered mashed potatos and oatmeal. What kinds offiod are you guys taking? I use the reactor stove so prefer to take "just add water" meals. I also have a vaccum sealer.

Also I'm looking for a tag line. I am currently using the Edelwies laser 9.6x 60m. I'm looking for a lite line I can keep in my pack until it's time to rappel or maybe use for some lite hauls.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the tag line buy 65M x6mm of cord. It is so light you'll never notice it in a pack, and it is cheap too ($80-$120) You can either rap on it double rope style, or use it as a pull line. I like the pull line method, but if there is any chance of the rope getting stuck, I double rap on them.( the knot I use for the pull line is bulky and prone to getting stuck.)

I would look at 7mm if I were you. I went to AK this spring with a 6mm tag line and it only lasted 8-10 raps before the sheath got cut, maybe a 7mm would be more durable? It was a 6mm PMI cord. I guess it could depend on the rock and how many raps you are planning on, but I wouldnt count on it lasting too long...

Only 8-10 raps? Yikes, that's an expensive descent! I'm sure it depends on the type of terrain you are going down, (myself, mostly steep rock) but I recently switched to Mammut Pro Cord 6mm, very strong stuff, and I haven't had any durability issues.

Having used 7mm rap cords for a long time I would say the advantage is that you can tie it to your lead line and do normal double rope raps. I'd be bit nervous to double rap on a 6mm line, even the 7mm line requires focused effort to keep from losing control.

I'd say go with the 7mm if you plan on doing a lot of raps just because it is easier to rig and gives you the option of doing either a pull-line, or a double rap. However if you're thinking of carrying the tag line only for emergencies (you get rained off for instance) or if you're climbing at your limit free climbing, go with the 6mm line. Check-out the Pro Cord, very cool stuff.

Edited by eldiente

The OP mentioned food so here is what I have been grooving on lately.

Trader Joes cooked brown rice

Trader Joes Indian Fare (various flavors)

Trader Joes ethnic flatbread (chapati, tortilla, etc)

The rice comes in a vacuum sealed plastic bag, the Indian Fare in a foil 'retort' type package. You can put the Indian Fare package in a pot of boiling water for a few mintues and combine with the rice and spoon on the flatbread. This is plenty of food for two hungry people for dinner.

Cheers,

Dan

Since both the Indian Fare and rice are NOT dehydrated they are not particularly light, but for only a night or two the weight is hardly noticeable, plus that is just that much less water you have to melt for the meal.