Dragon Tail, Backbone Ridge question

punk_rocker333

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask yourself if you're solid on 5.9 o/w, as there will be a good 25 to 30 foot runout between your last pro and the top, which takes good gear. Sure, it's a PIA to lug a 5" piece up the entire route, but it beats sketching and retreating. Take the big piece. You'll be having so much fun you won't even notice it in your pack.

Biggest piece we took was a new #5 C4. Ended up not using the #4. The top half of the pitch is where you need the wide stuff and I was able to walk the #5 for quite a ways. If I had a #6 I'd leave the #5 behind and just walk that for the last half of the pitch.

Just have your second lug the cam in his pack along with the beer and ice.

Take the biggest piece of gear you can in the range we are talking about but, seriously, don't worry about it. The crack is well less than vertical, in a corner, and you are not going to fall. You may have trouble making upward progress and you are going to want pro, but it is not the kind of crack where you are likely to really fly. Climb a few 5.9 offwidths first - like the last pitch of GM at Index, and if you can do those you'll be fine on Backbone.

Wow, so much beta. I guess I should go back to GM and do the last pitch. I ended up doing the last pitch of Heart of the Country instead, it looked too good. Will probably end up bringing the old 5 camalot and leaving the others depending on my partner. I feel pretty confident on wide 5.9 so we'll see how much the rack gets stripped down the night before after a few beers. Thanks for the info.

I would say: Forget everything but the big mean green. the c4#5 won't go that far. Go for the 6 or the old 5. The offwidth is pretty tame IMO. I would give it a .8 rating.

Pfft. Only if this is your first time outside the gym. .7 max.

• 1 month later...

With a recent thread on the OW I figured I'd post a pic of the OW pitch I had lying around to complement the BB OW discussions. This thread seemed semi-appropriate so here it is (click on pic for the big version):

P1110313.jpg