Locator Beacon or Radio Suggestion

FWF

I know that the whole locator beacon issue has been much discussed. However, my partners and I are strongly considering getting one. First question: Does anyone have experience with and a strong recommendation of any of the locator beacons out there?

My other thought is whether a radio makes more sense. I looked on the internet, but I really could not find anything that would answer this. I know nothing about radio frequencies, limitations of reception/transmision etc. Intuitively, the ability to use a radio to call from an area that lacks cell service makes sense.

Thanks in advance . . .

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you may need a special licence to use a ham radio. Where you thinking of the handheld ham radios? I heard that many mtn guides are now bringing them along to be able to have real communications if there is an emergency, something that the locator doesn't allow. (BTW, I think that they are carrying both so they both have their merits) I don't own either and have no real knowledge of this stuff.

Fire Jason Martin a PM. I think he has better knowledge of these things.

If you are talking about a handheld HAM radio, then absolutely yes, you will require a HAM radio license in order to operate it legally. There are all sorts of little requirements of the FCC that you'll have to follow if you go that route. Stuff like always using only your HAM call sign (no nicknames or "handles"), both when you sign on and sign off, as well as several times during your broadcasting session (I forget how often you have to do that), no profanity, etc. etc. Plus you have to get your license renewed periodically. A bunch of the folks in my mountain rescue unit are licensed HAM operators. I, for one, felt that it was a lot of shit to go through just to be able to talk on a fancy radio. I go with a cell phone and occasionally FRS radios when the party gets large. I won't carry a PLB.

Actually, you can use any Amateur frequency if it is an emergency without a license. I have been able to hit several repeaters from deep in the mountains far away from cell phone service on many occasions. So that might be a viable option. But then again, it's another heavy brick in your pack that you will most likely never use.

True, in an emergency, you can broadcast HAM on an amateur frequency. I just didn't feel like that needed to be added, based upon the OP's statement. I figured he was going to go all the way with a radio if he was going to go at all. Hence, he'd get a license if he got a HAM radio, and any emergency broadcast would be OBE.

A former climbing buddy was in SAR and used to carry a ham radio. They are cool tools, though heavier than cell phones. I thought it would be a cheaper way to communicate with the wife as we coordinated car pooling around Tacoma. Cheaper than cell phones that is, no contract. And of course, tons more range than anything else, in the mountains.

To get a ham license, you have to read a book and then take a test, in person, at a licensing office. I got halfway through the book: "Now you're talking!" before giving up and just buying another cell phone.

The book is very technical. Lots of talk about electrical circuits, wavelengths, ohms and amps. It appeared to be about 30 hours of studying. You'd almost need to take an 'in person' training class to really understand it right.

Plus the ham radios start around $500, and you need two...one for the wife.

If I was a mountaineer, I would be tempted to go the ham route, but I just crag, and my droid suits me fine.