[TR] Colchuck Peak - North Buttress Couloir Ski

telemarker

Trip: Colchuck Peak - North Buttress Couloir Ski

Date: 3/6/2010

Trip Report:

Colchuck area offered up so much last week, why not go back in for a repeat? Scott McAllister and I did just that. To start off, I woke up at 3:30am and had some eggs, coffee, a pancake, toast, cereal (with lactose free Silk, very vanilla), a bagel and more coffee...Then I got on the road and drove 25 minutes to the trailhead. But I digress...

I've wanted to ski this since reading the Hummel's TR from a few years ago. Scott and I booted up just to the top of the couloir only, leaving the rest of the NW face for a future trip. In the right conditions, it looks like it would make a great descent from summit back to the lake.

The shot descends at a consistent grade. I'd say it's very similar to the cannon mtn. couloir, but steeper and easier to get to. There was no icy bulge that was present last year. Just good-edging powder the entire distance. We watched our friend Erik shred it earlier in the morning, and couldn't resist laying down our own tracks. The snow up there Saturday was fantastic, from couloir back to the lake!

Moon and Colchuck in the morning.

neb1.jpg

Scott with Mt. Cashmere behind.

neb2.jpg

Colchuck's NE Couloir left and North Buttress Couloir right.

neb3.jpg

Dragontail looking impressive.

neb5.jpg

Erik's descent earlier of the NB Couloir. The tiny black dot 1/3 of the way down the couloir is him.

neb4.jpg

A look down from the top of the couloir.

neb6.jpg

Scott riding the couloir.

neb7.jpg

Gear: Skis, poles, skins, #4 big bro (did not use), neutrino(did not use), TP (did use).

Edited by telemarker

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work you guys. Great pictures too! I enjoyed running into you up there. I envied you your skis...the snow up from the lake to the moraine was posthole city by the time we got up there for those of us doomed to slog on boots. Thanks for the advice on the Enchantment Ale...I half hoped to see you at Gustav's to buy you that promised beer..perhaps another time. You guys are animals!Panorama_231.JPG