• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
spionin

rainier ski?

hi y'all.

i think i'll ski me rainier in the next few months.

i'm looking for

1) advice on a route

2) advice on the best month to do this

3) partner(s)

thanks!

Thermogenesis dude :tup::lmao:

Actually the Emmons Glacier is a good. The Emmons involves lots of road skiing until the road to the White River Campground is open. Fuhr Finger would be another choice.

This last stretch of weather could have worked for skiing, but I believe we're headed back to the typical precip cycle. Past that you're looking for a few solid days of good weather. In a lot of years May is a good month, but that's just a guess.

Spend a lot of time looking at

NOAA

and

NWAC

I've skied both the Fuhrer Finger and the Emmons. I far prefer the Finger--better fall line, earlier access, no dry trail to hike, and (at least in my sample size of 2) fewer crevasse shenanigans. The best skiing on the Emmons route is on the Inter Glacier. The rest is traverse-y and mellow, interspersed with gaping crevasses.

I'd wait until spring/summer corn season, and not ski it during the first big warm up (14k freezing levels). The Finger can have just absolutely ripper corn in it if you time it right. If you wait too long it gets peppered with rocks and water ice. Mid to late May and certainly no later than late June should be just about right. The Emmons stays skiable until mid July most years.

Thermogenesis dude :tup::lmao:

That's not a 'dude'. :rolleyes:

no prob :) i'm regularly called "dude" or "bro". no, i don't think i look like a man.

andy - thanks, that's excellent to hear. just the type of beta i was hoping for.

reid - awesome! looking forward to our skiing reunion!

How steep is the skiing on the Finger? I have been eyeing this for a bit and want to make sure my ski skills are up to par...