Overnight pack size

Peter McCorkell

I'm looking into getting a new pack for use on overnight(1-2nights) alpine trips this summer where I'll be carrying gear for 5th class rock. What are your opinions on the perfect pack size for this kind of trip? Does anyone have any recommendations on packs specifically? Or features to look for?

I looked through past forums for any threads on this but couldn't find any specifically.

Thanks

-Pete

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i am going to say 35-40 liter size.

What is most important to you in a pack--comfort, weight, features?

Does Cilo gear make a 40 liter pack? I'm too lazy to go check.. I know they have a 30 and a 45 you could probably pass with the smaller one if you pack light/small.

For 1-2 nights, I'd probably go 30L, only for the 5th class rack you'll be lugging. On non-technical trips, for 1-2 days I usually get by with my 18L pack, though you have to be willing to rough it a bit. If you want a little more flexibility in your pack, go with a 45L.

In general less is more!

That said I'd gather everything you think that you'll need to take with you, go down to REI and try cramming it all in to a few packs. What ever it fits into comfortably, I'd buy a pack a few liters smaller and figure out how to make it fit anyway. I've taken

Personally I've had good luck with as small as a 30L pack for light overnight alpine rock trips.

Thanks everyone. I was curious because it does always seem like people use vastly different pack sizes for these outings. I don't think I'll look towards squeezing things down to a 30L and may end up with a 45L-50L.

To continue the conversation, and, just out of curiosity, are there any special features that you'd look for on pack for these kind of trips? I've seen Arc'teryx and Millet packs with a crampon pouch on the outside and that always seemed like something nice.

I've got an Arc'teryx Bora 40 that I like, though I never thought I'd spend that much $ for a small pack, even on sale. Only downside is that the side pockets are too small for water bottles, but otherwise alot of nice features, like the outside pocket for wet stuff, shovel, etc. For overnites I wouldn't want a smaller pack, and it handles up to about 25-30# ok.