[TR] Twin Peaks - Wallowas - 1/16/2010

bgratias

Trip: Twin Peaks - Wallowas -

Date: 1/16/2010

Trip Report:

This weekend I was finally able to summit my nemesis. Twin Peaks was one of the first mountains I tried to climb, and over the past couple of years I have failed repeatedly.

Previous Attempts

Twin_Ryan_Overlook.jpg

Twin_Bran_Sunny.jpg

Ryan_Twin_Winter.jpg

I was 0-5 going into this weekend, and I wasn't going to let a little post-holing and cloudy weather force me to go 0-6. Six of us started up Saturday morning. We all made it to the headwall at around 8750 feet, but it looked a little too technical for most of the group, and four of them turned back. Ryan and I kept going. To be fair, Steven (Sneaky_Steve) wanted to continue to the summit, but being the gentleman he is, he turned back with his girlfriend.

Steven and Ashleigh

Twin_Steve.jpg

The headwall was pretty rocky, but the short section we climbed had enough snow to make it fun.

Ry_Twin_Cross.jpg

Ry_Twin_Up.jpg

Ry_Twin_Up2.jpg

The tops of the clouds were only 100 feet or so above us when we reached the summit, but unfortunately they never broke up enough for us to see blue sky for more than a second. The summit block was about 20-30 feet of loose and snowy 5.2.

Twin_Summit.jpg

Traversing away from the summit

Twin_Summit_Down.jpg

We downclimbed the headwall, and enjoyed perfect plunge-stepping on the way down.

Twin_Bran_Down.jpg

Gear Notes:

Bike helmet.

Approach Notes:

Super icy road to the hurricane creek trailhead.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic