Spire Point to German Helmet - Traverse

boothhaley

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its total choss, teetering stacks of rotten blocks, serious kitty litter granite. A couple guys from Colorado tried it a few years ago.

I'm reading Tom Patey, read this a few days ago:

" Mike Taylor and I had long been fasinated by this face, the more so after meeting with Mac Smith , that redoubtable bloodhoud of a climber...In answer to our question, he assured us that was nothing there worth the walk from Derry-it was all rotten and loose and were it otherwise would have been climbed long ago. Knowing Mac as we did,it was immediately obvious that he was only waiting an opportunity to return. We could delay no longer."

You've missed the reference, here's a little background: Tom Patey. The man never climbed in the North Cascades that I'm aware of.

One Man's Mountains is the seminal collection of his writing, certainly on many climbers lists of top 10 books about climbing. Kroc was referring to Patey's description of a fine tradition of misdirection and dissembling when discussing possible climbing projects.

Given the amount of attention lavished on the Cub Lake area over the years, I'd be very surprised if 7940 hasn't seen an ascent, but I'm sure there are ample unclimbed lines in the area. Its a pity the approach got 9 miles longer with the road washout.