Expedition Sleeping Pads

bivchad

There may be another thread on this but couldn't find it in my little bit of searching.

What are you guys using for your sleeping pad(s) in Alaska? I am caught between bringing a Prolite 4 coupled with a Z-Rest OR an Exped OR do I bring an Exped coupled with a Z-Rest?? I know I can count on you guys here to give me your detailed opinion...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the inflatable/closed cell foam combo as well (Prolite 3) and have never had cause to regret it. The only change I made was to replace my Ridge Rest with a Yellow Hard Man Pad because the RR would catch snow in its bumpy topography, which would then melt and I'd have to flip my pad over or sleep on top of several small puddles. Flipping the pad over only works once every few hours. With the smooth surface of the YHMP it's easy to brush the snow off.

In terms of warmth, just about any foam pad on top of just about any inflatable pad will be fine. If you only want to deal with one pad Therm-a-Rest makes a combo pad that is an inflatable with a layer of closed cell foam on one side. It accomplishes the same thing and you don't have to deal with one pad shifting around on the other. I think it's pretty spendy (and heavy), though, so if you already have an inflatable you'd be better off organizing your system around that.

The main risk with using only an inflatable is that without a repair kit you will suffer. You'll need to take one regardless, but at least you can make it through one night on a slowly deflating pad if you have a foamie on top of it. And whatever you do, try to avoid travel with your inflatable pad on the outside of your pack wrapped around your wands, barbed pickets, hiking poles, and ice axe.

:crosseye:

Even the lighter Exped downmat 7 is way warmer and more comfortable than the prolite 4. I ran into leaking issues at the valve on some of the older ones, but the newest ones with the integrated pump are so far much more bombproof. With the leak risk of any inflatable, I'd probably want to have some sort of backup pad (maybe just a backpack bivy pad and rope), and definitely bring along the repair kit.

if you bring the exped or a OR therma whatever, you will still want to bring a closed cell foam pad also. 2 reasons.

1- as mentioned above, as a backup if you develope a leak in the expensive pad. Sleaping without a pad in AK is a recipe for disaster and the foams don't weight enough to use as an arguement against bringing one

2- If you are on denali, chances are you will be using a cook shelter too, or hanging out in someone else's cook shelter. You will need to sit on a foam pad inside and it is not a safe place for inflatables in there.

As mentioned above by fromage, the z rest has big holes for storing and melting snow getting your bag all wet, even worse than the ridgerest. I would avoid the z rest on denali.

Foam pad should be full length and the inflatable can be either 3/4 or full depending on your needs. I used my pack as insulation under the feet so I didn't use a full length thermarest. But if you get a sweet exped downpad, getting a full length one would be nice as the weight difference is small.

The build up to denali is a great time! Enjoy yourself up there.

Thanks Gene, and everyone else! I am actually headed for some ski/climbing exploration in Wrangell-St. Elias and probably won't get above 14K. I understand it is not quite as cold as the Alaska Range there and because I will be traveling for 3 weeks, we definitely need to go light as possible. Great info about snow catching in the ridges. I think a foam pad and Prolite 4 might be the way to go....