Canadian made expedition packs?

rachaelh

Does anyone know of any companies that sell Canadian made expedition packs? I'm looking for a female pack, between 50-65L, made in Canada. I've found one at mec.ca, but it's 500 bucks and lime green (eww.).

I've read through MEC's policies on ethical sourcing, and it sounds like a lot of, "We would love to do the right thing but we wouldn't make any money, and besides, we don't have the power to change labor laws in foreign countries anyway." They're more aware of the problems that exist with low paid, poorly treated workers.. but every company is out to make their own, and they can't afford to have all Canadian made products - they have to make a profit somehow!

Okay, my rant is done. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides MEC?

ArcTeryx ($$$), Serratus (are these guys even in business anymore?), and Outbound (think camping section at Walmart) are all that come to mind. I'm Canadian and besides ArcTeryx and the occasional better-than-average product that MEC creates, I look to the US for good quality packs, eg. Cilogear, Osprey, BD

Why don't you look for a used Serratus pack? There's always some on the MEC gearswap. Canadain made, great packs (they used to be owned by MEC, but they couldn't be competitive anymore - all of their designs have been absorbed into the MEC label).

I've bought/sold heaps of stuff on the gearswap (including a Serratus pack) without ever having any problems.

Here's one Serratus Pack That particular model (the Alpine Guide?) is a great pack (and no I have no relation to the seller)

The owner of Serratus sold the brand to MEC some years ago. Production has since then been pushed offshore. ArcTeryx has also since moved most of its production offshore.

I love my Serratus pack but it's sadly getting old. I recently got to work on a project with the ex-owner - Ross Wyborn. He's a really nice guy and he made great packs for many years. :brew:

As much as companies would love to be able to have gear stitched in NA it's become unfeasible. The cost of living is too high and better work for better pay too available. They can't keep seamstresses(sters) through the deadline crunches which compromises getting product out on time and at the market price.

You can call BS if you want on MEC's (and every other business that outsources stitching) position but they do the best they can with the resources available IMO.

As much as companies would love to be able to have gear stitched in NA it's become unfeasible. The cost of living is too high and better work for better pay too available. They can't keep seamstresses(sters) through the deadline crunches which compromises getting product out on time and at the market price.

I'm afraid that in my humble opinion, the above is total BS. It's really not that hard, but there is a bit of a paradigm shift involved. And I am right, with little to no room for argument. If I was wrong, companies across the value spectrum from New Balance to some cheap yoga clothing companies that I know of would not be bringing their production BACK onshore.

I'm afraid that in my humble opinion, the above is total BS. It's really not that hard, but there is a bit of a paradigm shift involved. And I am right, with little to no room for argument. If I was wrong, companies across the value spectrum from New Balance to some cheap yoga clothing companies that I know of would not be bringing their production BACK onshore.

You would know better than I. My statement was the party line for Arcteryx and MEC last year. American Apparel seems to pull it off and I guess a few others that you have mentioned. Maybe there will be a shift back to NA factory production?

It made sense to me that it would be difficult to keep a solid employee base for stitching in NA even at a reasonable salary for high volume production but I'd be more than happy to be wrong.