Green Giant Road Work Party- Darrington

hanman

Several folks are planning to reclaim as much Green Giant road access as possible next sunday- We'll be up there starting at about 8-9 am. Anyone who's been up there recently can attest to the need, any assistance would be highly appreciated!

Mark Hanna

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll have at least a couple chainsaws, burke bars. I'm donating my old but venerable Blazer to moving big logs and rocks as needed too. A pick/shovels may be useful, and ratchet nippers are always in style- Hope to see you up there :tup:

Shooting for this Sunday the 1st

MH

Edited by hanman

Many windfalls were chopped, road is driveable now all the way in to trailhead. Roadbed is intact, but has become quite rocky- high clearance vehicle AWD or 4WD is recommended. The giant log can be driven around, but we sawed nearly all the way thru the ~5 foot diameter log, (need larger saw). A bit more work on that one, and the road will be back to original shape in that section.

Thanks to all- Reily81, BenMurphy, Dave T, Chris G, Eric H, Billy the Dog, and the Hanna girlz for all the hard work!!!!

:rawk:

M. Hanna

No sleep for Mark until that big log is history!

Actually, the biggest obstacle right now is the giant swamp about 2/3 of the way in. Dave & I were able to lower the water table about six inches with our freshly cut alder shovels, but it's still a threat. A few hours of shoveling out the clogged drainage ditch on the uphill (R as you go in) side of the road will make a big difference on that one. I nominate the Hanna girlz for the task.

Once Lake Tower is well drained and Mark's pet log is gone, I say borrow your grandpa's Lexus and check it out!

-Eric

That little flood problem is serious.

If you try to drive through it and your fan hits the water, you're likely to stall out in the middle of the lake. Meanwhile, the water carries all the silt away and we are left with a cobblestone roadway. It is too bad the Forest Service doesn't have a budget for this part of the raod: we need a whole gang of Nepali laborers or a backhoe.