Red Mountain approach?

Jamie

If it isn't already too late in the season, I'd still like to climb Red Mountain near Snoqualmie Pass this year. When I look at the maps I See a labyrinth of trails. Is the usual approach just taking the new PCT trail up to the (Red-Lundin) saddle? My guide books were all written before the PCT was changed in this area. ...and thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You save a lot of time using that Commonwealth cutoff old trail. The crest trail was built with specs requiring low grade, so it has to meander around and contour to avoid the steeps. To start on the old trail, begin in the PCT and in a couple of hundred feet or so, keep looking left and see a narrow gravel wash/trail with branches leaning in from both sides. that's it. You'll cross the creek in less than a mile, and then meander around the creek basin until eventually coming to a junction that could link you up with the PCT. That would require a hairpin right turn. Instead, take the left, or straight and follow it up the ridge to Red.