Free Hanging RapLocation?

AR_Guy

I'm looking for a spot (other than the center of the bridge at Exit 38) where I can set up a free hanging rappel. Ideally, it's walk up access to the top, solid places to anchor the rope(s) (gear works, trees or similar preferred), and not more than 200' down to solid ground, won't interfere with a popular climb, a clean start down the line into the free hanging part, etc. The bridge at exit 38 works pretty well at ~100' of dangling in space, but getting off the edge cleanly and safely is a bit tricky for a newb. If there's a better spot, I'd sure like to know about it.

Purpose: My teammate and I are thinking about doing an adventure race in Utah in the spring which includes a rap section which eventually goes free hanging for about 50' or so. I'd like my teammate to get plenty of experience on this type of rappeling before race day, especially since she has issues with exposure.

Thanks

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has probably occurred to you already, but you said that your partner doesn't have much experience. I'd start with easier rappels, move onto steep terrain, move into raps that have difficult starts, then do some free hanging rappels once she has more experience.

I've not been there, but I'd guess that Peshastin has some that could be arranged.

This has probably occurred to you already, but you said that your partner doesn't have much experience. I'd start with easier rappels, move onto steep terrain, move into raps that have difficult starts, then do some free hanging rappels once she has more experience.

I've not been there, but I'd guess that Peshastin has some that could be arranged.

I can't think of any overhanging rappels at Peshastin as it tends to be quite slabby.

Monkey Face at Smith has a completely overhanging rappel but involves aid and would not be suitable for someone with exposure issues.

Thanks for the info folks.

L-Worth might be the ticket. We can get in some other training while in that area as well. Mt. Erie also sounds good....can always hit it on one of those rain shadow winter days and it's not too far away.

Oh, and this would DEFINATELY be for the later stages of her training. I'll start her off at the slabby stuff at Exit 38 - It's easy to scramble to the top of flamable pajamas at the end of the trestle for low angle and to use the bridge abutment for near vertical.