Do falls degrade cams??

Sherri

YES, any cam not placed properly can fail - link cams and camalots alike. All else aside they are still not something I'd give up my camalots for, IMO. Too many moving parts, heavy... meh!

Although the 1's and 2's are heavier, the link cam 0.5 and 0.75 weigh the same as the same size camalots.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although the 1's and 2's are heavier, the link cam 0.5 and 0.75 weigh the same as the same size camalots.

ah ha, teach me to say something before i finish researching it...

actually the truth be known, the BD's .5 and .75 are 97g and 116g, respectively, meaning that they outweigh their linkcam counterparts (95g and 113g, respectively - ya learn somethign new everyday), but the 1 & 2 camalots are 134 and 158 which is considerably less than 176 and 207 grams for the 1 &2 linkcams.

in our game where grams add up to pounds it makes sense to go with the lightest gear possible, yeah? a case could be made for the .5 and .75 linkcams in this respect, but the difference is very small... almost unnoticable. I still renew my objection to them b/c of their many, many, many, more movign parts than the BD's (and this is fine because it is my own opinion :) ) and i will add that they also start at around $95!!! Aren't BD's startign at about $60 these days?

For those of you who like the OP's over the BD's, great - At least you're covering your asses somehow :) The fewer accidents I have to read about the better! :brew:

I've taken huge falls on small cams. Do falls degrade cams? I'd say yes, but little by little. A lot depends on placement, the distance falling, the rock and if you have a good belayer. I'd say the belayer and the placement are the most important factors to consider.