Tents

Who Dares

Another newbie question.

I have a line on a MH Trango 2 tent ($475 CAD) as well as Sierra stretch Tiros with footprint ($499 CAD).

Based on the fact that I am 6'6, 225 lbs I kinda had my heart set on the MH EV3 (plus the fact its lighter) but it's going to run me around $700 CAD. I don't mind spending the extra money for a good product but thought I would post here first.

I will try and find a store where I can set each one up and compare, but in case I am unable to do that I thought I would get some experienced members opinions.

I submitted this in the newbie section, but was advised that it would probably get more responses here.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You already know that your height/length is a problem.

At this point I don't quite remember the number of tarps/tarp tents and tents I own/have owned.

To a fair exTENT (heh-heh), maybe you should disregard the question and concentrate on getting out in the boondocks.

I've been called various names for recommending a Wal-Mart US$20 puptent.

Yet I'd suggest you DO spend the total of $1,075 for your new lifetime tent expenditures to date; then kick in another US $20 for the puptent, to spare the floors on your various other tents.... for those few-and-far between trips when expedition-style quality and weight isn't required.

Why is it when any one mentions tents, this guy from Jersey chimes in with his "$20 wal-mart tent"?

Isn't this the same tent that all the people who reviewed it from the website you posted said that it was a shitty tent? Too short for tall people, etc.etc.

For the OP, you're hosed. Tents are not made for tall people. From what I hear there is some 7' tall sasquatch that posts around here, maybe he can give you some tent advise. Shit, I am only 5'11" and I have trouble in some tents.

• 2 weeks later...

I see lots of people using $700 mountaineering tents while camped in utterly benign conditions.

The right "bottom of the line" backpacking tents -- are utterly simple things and cost less than some "floor protecters" for a mountaineering tent.

The big deal is, they have insect netting and in that limited way, are "better" than tarps.

Like any tent, their floors, however, can trap condensation, and given coated canopy, in warm wintry conditions, be highly impractical.

Most people who use (and review) extremely cheap tents are uninformed about sealing seams, and thus get skunked in rain. They'd have same experience with many other "much better" tents.

At your height and weight I think you are screwed at getting a cheep tent. Most tents just like clothing are built for short people. I have an MK3 that I got for winter conditions when i want to go light. It just fits me at 6'5" and 200 lbs. I spend the night with girlfriends (she is tall as well) and gear and found it just right. No extra room and my feet were on the gear but it was workable...just.....

As for the cheeper tents I did not look at them because I was looking for more of a tent. But I would not think that they make them any longer than a better tent. My cheeper tent is shorter than the MK3, FYI.

As for Johndavid...... he can suck it. The OP is talking about tents for tall people and John pulls this wallmart crap. If you were going to really say something John go and look at the lengths of the tents and then post something otherwise....suck it!!!!

The MH Trango is a good tent and very capable of withstanding typical winter weather conditions found in the PNW, provided of course that it is correctly set up with it's proper internal and external guy lines. I know one dumbass (not me, no way !) who failed to rig his Trango 3 correctly only to watch it quickly shred in 70 mph winds. Lucky for me, the great people at MH replaced the poles and fly under "warranty".

I'm over 6'6" and often find it a curse to be so vertically challenged. One becomes simply used to sleeves too short, airplanes claustrophobic, and tents exceedingly cramped. Long storms make for short tempers even under the best of shelters, there's never enough room for 3 people in a 3-man tent.

You should already know that bigger mountains tend to have more severe storms. For example last year on Mt Hood we saw (NWAC weather data from Top of Mile-Timberline) maximum winds of 130 mph at 7,000' elev. For 12 hours that day the recorded wind speed was greater than 100 mph. There were 7 days in 2009 where wind speed at the station exceeded 100 mph. Two years prior, in 2007 there were 22 hours of 100 mph+ average wind speed over a 4 day period. Consider that the automated weather station was only a little over half way up the mountain.

IMHO you would be foolish to rely on a tarp for a primary winter shelter if your travels go above timberline. Your entire trip can be so much more fun if you aren't freezing to death in the process.

In the interest of full disclosure, I finally broke into my piggybank last week and bought a new Hilleberg Saivo tent, a very solid alpine tent costing waaay too much money. It has a bit more room (not weight) compared to the Trango and hopefully provides greater security/safety/legroom on those dark and stormy winter nights. Just don't forget to set up the guy lines.