Petzl Quark Leash Attachment Question

Stime

There seem to be two styles or generations of Quarks around...

#1:

[img:center]http://media.rei.com/media/717525_9996Lrg.jpg[/img]

#2:

[img:center]http://media.rei.com/media/193125.jpg[/img]

What's going on with the different placement for the leash attachment? Which would be preferable? I've only climbed on the #2 version of Quarks and the leashes felt great. Unsure about how the #1 style would be, looks like it would be comparable, just longer...

Thanks for any input.

- Scott

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lower one is the current version. It is easier to clip and unclip being closer to your hand. But why bother with leashes in any form? Climbing leashless is easier. Quark is an awesome leashless tool with the factory grip adaptor.

Pull the leashes, add some sticky tape higher up the shaft, maybe a second grip for matching and you are good to go imo. Awesome tool..and with a few mods what I prefer to climb on when not on Nomics.

aep.sized.jpg

afb.sized.jpg

I am a leashed fool too. I took those petzl ones off and put some androids on. I thought the peztl ones were too difficult but it may have been because I was used to the androids. I attached my androids at the lower part like your picture #2.

Seems like the higher attachment would be for times were you would be grabbing the head more often, like the "alpine"? That seems rather weird though.

Try both leashed and leashless amd make your own call about that. There is no one right way unlike what others will try to sway you.

Thanks for all the info, guys. Much appreciated.

Personally, I like leashes and I like to climb leashless when I'm feeling a bit more confident, hence why I want a set of Quarks.

The reason I asked is I'm working on buying a used pair. Several pairs have been offered to me with one being the older version (high attachment) and two pairs the more recent version, just trying to peg which pair would be best.

Looks like it doesn't really matter. If I'm climbing alpine routes Ill probably umbilical cord them to my harness rather than deal with leashes anyways.

There is no one right way unlike what others will try to sway you.

:) No right or wrong way as Gene says. Just that one way is a whole lot easier.

Kevin, not a big change. They climb like a dumbed down Nomic with a spike. Being able to add the Nomic pick weights will make them even better on water ice than the poorly balanced (in comparison) Quark.