[TR] Three O'Clock Rock, Darrington 07/01/09

Trip report 07/01/09

Area: Three O'Clock Rock, Darrington Area

Route: Total Soul 5.10B

So after staying in bed for the past 3 days with a head cold, my buddy Kevin decides we should still keep with our plans to do Total Soul at Three O'Clock Rock. I woke up around 7:45 PM with my ribs hurting from coughing all night. He stopped by at 8 and we drove up to Darrington with minimal traffic. We arrived at the trailhead around 9:30.

19.jpg

25.jpg

5_trail.jpg

This was my first visit to the 3 O'Clock Rock area. We had unsuccessfully attempted Dreamer twice in one year. (Another story...way too HOT that summer!). So I really wanted to complete the full route.

We arrived at the base of the route around 10:30. My lungs were burning from the hike and the cough that would not go away.

6_climb.jpg

There was a small amount of snow at the base that made a great refridgerator for our spare water and food.

7_snow_cave.jpg

Kevin took the first pitch rated at 5.6. It was a short and dirty. Besides the bolts, it took a few pieces of gear.

8_pitch_1.jpg

The anchors on all the pitches are sport anchors except pitches 7 and 8.

9_anchors_1.jpg

I took the second pitch 5.9. It was clean and fun.

Kevin took the 3rd pitch 5.7. (The following 3 pictures.)

10_pitch_3.jpg

11_pitch_3.jpg

12_pitch_3.jpg

I took pitch 4, 5.9 again. A nice piece of slab, very well bolted and gear placements are abundant (nuts or cams will work). The picture is Kevin coming up to the anchors of Pitch 4.

13_Top_of_Pitch_4.jpg

Kevin took the First hard pitch (#5) on the route 5.10B. He cleared it with ease. The only real difficulty on this pitch is on the belay. The top of Pitch 4 is a hanging belay. If you have a belay seat, bring it!

14_pitch_5.jpg

The large bush on the right is called the "Batman Bush".

15_pitch_5.jpg

I took pitch 6. Another 5.10B. We both agreed that Pitch 6 was much harder than Pitch 5. There are a few moves you must really dedicate to.

The picture is looking down Pitch 6. The belay on top of Pitch 6 isn't that great either. A belay seat would be nice there too!

16_Top_of_Pitch_6.jpg

Kevin took pitch 7, a 5.8 dirty slab. It looks like most people bale after pitch 6.

17_pitch_7.jpg

Kevin completed the pitch in style and I followed.

The pictures are of the anchors and belay stance on top of pitch 7.

19_Pitch_7_anchor.jpg

18_Top_of_Pitch_7.jpg

The anchors are just 2 bolts and an old sling with no rap ring. It kind of forces you to move on to the next pitch or leave gear. Don't know why someone would do that, when all the other anchors were "sport" rap anchors. huh?

I took on the last pitch. Another 5.10B. I found it quite fun. It was more face climbing than slab. You get to stand on a few "chicken heads" while reaching for small edges. The top of the route was quite dirty. I have to thank the person for putting in that last bolt. It would suck to have to clean out the crack to place a last piece of gear.

The picture is the lower part of the route.

20_pitch_8.jpg

We found the rap station. Well at least the two part rap station. It appears you rap off the top tree to the right for about 30 feet, then you rap off a second tree to the chain anchors below. I guess you could scramble down the little gully to the second lower tree.

Here are some pictures of our rappel and some scenic pics.

21_Rappel_1.jpg

22_Rappel_2.jpg

25_scenic_2.jpg

24_scenic_1.jpg

Well we made it in great time and had a lot of fun. Quite a fun route on a beautiful day! Only one injury to report. A small scrape to my arm when my foot slipped on the rock.

29_injury_1.jpg

Got home in time to play with the kid!

30_home_1.jpg

This is a great route. If someone gets a chance maybe they can add a chain and rap ring to pitch 7's anchors!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! I really like that route. Try the Superfly next time. .11a and super fun moves with bolts in yer face.

If I remember correctly, you don't rap from pitch seven anchors. Probably why it is not equipped as a rap station.

The D-town season has been a good one so far. Great weather and not too hot.

nice work! i've had my eye on that one for a while, but its hard to find a good slab partner. Darrington slabs kick!

Sloth, anytime you need a slab partner let me know. D-town is some of my favorite climbing in the state.

Cheers.

JImbo

The superfly variation looked pretty clean. You're right. The bolts were very close and it didnt look to intimidating. Maybe next time!

Our ultimate goal was to finish Total Soul and then move on to Silent Running 5.9 if we had time. Rapping took longer than expected. So we called it the day.