hiking routes in the pickets?

superB

I've always admired the great TRs coming from the Pickets. The best one I can remember was from Steph. Anyway, my boss wants me to take him on a trip this summer, but he has zero climbing experience so I hesitate to do anything technical. Are there any hiking/non-technical routes in the Pickets? I imagine we could manage some class 4, but it would be good if the majority was 3 and lower. Let me know if you guys have any thoughts.

Best

jg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can hike in to the South Pickets via Goodell Creek, explore the ridgeline south of the MacMillan Spires, and even have a go at West MacMillan Spire. If you want to venture into the North Pickets, I suggest you ensure that your boss is comfortable with North Cascades bushwhacking and potential epics, or you may be fired afterwards

• 2 weeks later...

I figured this would be a manageable solo outing, and it was pretty dire, though it was about ten years ago, and conditions may have changed. Finding the goodell creek trailhead was tough. There's no view at all. There was a cairn in the middle of the trail to let you know when to head up the hillside, but eventually I lost the sketchy trail, and turned around, never having got out of the trees. Missed the Goodell creek trail heading down, flailed around in rotting trees down in the valley, eventually came across the creek (just barely) badly dehydrated.

If he likes bushwhacking, he'll love it. I'd do with Rad and take him up Sahale arm. Jim Nelson wrote something like "out-of-town visitors will want to go to Rainier, but take them up to Cascade Pass, it'll change their life."