• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
jmo

MSG XGK or Whiseperlite Int'l?

I want quality and multi Fuel. I like MSR so I'll stick with them. Which is better?

Hey JMO,

I agree with mmd! The XGK has a wider fuel line/preheats fuel better and will burn a variety of fuels more effeciently with less chance of clogging the line. Also, it works better for higher altitudes. Very easy to maintain.

Teresa

I've seen an XGK in action a few times at altitude, they look like great stoves. I hated my whisperlite... always having to replace seals and scrub out clogs in the fuel line.

I switched to a Primus eta power and MSR reactor. I hate polluting landfills with my empty canisters, but they work so darn well!

XGK if you want bomber, bulletproof action. I love my new version one. Of course, my original whisperlite is still going after 20 years..... changed a few o-rings and replaced the pump once, but never an issue. I usually maintain them thoroughly once a year, and then double check them midseason. (course always carry a stripped down maint kit too) Both will require SOME maintenance, but should last a hell of a long time.

Depends on your use...

If you want a jet engine for melting lots of snow quickly go for the XGK

If you want a general purpose climbing/backpacking/travel/whatever stove go for the Whisperlite.

If you want a general purpose climbing/backpacking/travel/whatever stove go for the Whisperlite.

if you want a general purpose stove for above freezing temps, get a pocket rocket or other canister stove. Quicker to start, smaller, lighter, all around superior and you can buy canisters most anywhere - S. America, NZ, Australia, Europe (Asia being a bit more difficult to source)

Already got a jetboil and love it. I want a stove that will burn anything.

XGK = jet burner

Whisperlite Internationale = slower, more finicky.

LOL.

The XGK is definitely a deal-killer for pleasant campside socializing, and enjoying a quiet moment communing with nature.