Lack of Ettiquette at Stone Gardens

SemoreJugs

I have had a few run-ins lately here with some punk-asses... here's one example. DO others care to share their stories???

I arrived at stone gardens on a Wednesday evening. I realized I didn't have my chalk bag in my pack. I figured I left it at home. Oh well, it will be a low friction day, I figure... I was at the gym two days prior with chalk bag.

Then I decide to do some bouldering. There is this guy with black curly hair, about 5'10" and medium build. Like an ugly, taller Fred Savage. Anyway, he is hogging up the curved overhanging wall when there are 4 other people waiting to climb. You know the type of guy, he does about two moves, falls, then stands 2 feet in front of the wall just kind of looking at it. about a minute goes by, he gets back on, flails, and repeats.

So I'm already aggravated, finally, he gets out of the damned way and goes to chalk up. I notice that he has a chalk bag that looks just like mine. In fact, it has a belt with a specific pattern that did not come with the chalk bag. Its my FREAKING bag.

I can't believe this douche nozzle is defiling my chalk bag! I immediately go up to him and ask, "Did you find this chalk bag?"

He is stunned. He can see the thirst for vengeance in my eyes. "Uhhhhh, I found it in the lost and found in the "old" pile"

ME: "That doesn't make sense, because I last used my bag two days ago."

DN: "Oh well, I lost my bag, I didnt see it in the lost and found, so I took this one."

ME: death stare

DN: "here"

So I get my bag back, and he leaves the area...

LAter, as I am packing up to leave (making sure I have all my possesions), I see douchenozzle walking up the stairs to the lost and found with an employee presumably poaching more lost items. WTF?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how this is such a big deal. You might just want to ask that maybe Stone Gardens could have people describe their missing items before they claim at the lost and found. I accidentally left something there once and they were casual about letting me pick it out of their Lost and Found stash.

Definitely not worthy of you posting it in all forums of the board. Your story has a lot of flair and drama though. I like the part where the guy flails. Everyone knows that unethical people can't climb, right? :chebit:

Anyway, I don't think Stone Gardens has cornered the market on punks. Glad you found you got your chalkbag back. If he did poach it from Lost and Found, keep in mind that another person found it and turned it in.

I see hogging the section of wall as the ettiquette issue here, not the chalk bag poaching.

I find people do a lot of staring at the wall, from close and far, but it doesn't bother me. I often have limited gym time and want to make the most of it. What usually works for me: make eye contact and use body gesture and/or words to ask if they're starting a route - if not then just jump in there. In a situation like you mentioned above, wait until 2nd fall and say, "mind if I try this one?" as you move to its start.

More problematic is when you have two or more people working a route, where one jumps in right after the other. Usually, I'll just move to a different section of wall.

Another challenging situation is when one or more routes traverse and cross each other - who has the right of way? There are no hard and fast rules. Treat others the way you would like to be treated and everyone should be happy. Bouldering can be a fun social scene with good positive energy. For solitude you may need to go elsewhere. Good luck.