Tick Warning

marc_leclerc

I have never been successful at getting them to back out on their own using heat, alcohol, etc. It always involves "surgery" as they get their heads engorged with blood and are literally unable to back out.

Ah, what bullshit. :crazy: Just take your thumb and forefinger and pull the little effin' sucker straight off! :lmao:

And, no, you don't need olive oil, although if your folks, Bug, had used that instead of fire, you wouldn't be talking out of your... ;)

Do we have to have this discussion every year?

Sure, except for the head that is usually left inside without a little cutting. That is all I was saying. Peace.

And we do have multiple discussions every year that are redundant on just about everything.

Matt,

I'm not afraid to identify and correct misinformation, which you seem to want to perpetuate. Just a few points:

1. The head (also called the capitulum) is NOT "usually left inside." The capitulum always comes out with the body with proper removal technique. As said before, I've removed from animals and people more than a thousand ticks in my life, and I've NEVER left the head nor any other tick parts when removing them. Typically, only part of the capitulum will be under the surface of the host's skin. The mouth parts, or chelicera, act as pincers. They're very strong and will continue to grip the skin on removal, often taking a very small amount of host's skin with it. The best removal technique is to grip the tick firmly as close to the head as possible and apply slow, gentle perpendicular traction (for more details, read the previous years' discussions).

2. If one has to regularly "cut," then you're obviously doing something wrong. Best removal method BY FAR is to use thumb and forefinger. Works even better than tweezers, especially if the tick is engorged.

3. It's apparent you have limited experience and knowledge about this subject, and obvious you've not read the previous years' discussions: please read them.

Ticks are indeed nasty creatures. In the U.S., they outrank even mosquitoes as a vector for human disease, many of which are very serious. It's unfortunate there's a high degree of paranoia involved with ticks, and people such as yourself are compelled to readily spread false info such as saying that oils, fire, cutting, and twisting the body out (all false) are needed to remove them. Regardless, your chances of contracting illness from a tick bite are rare, especially if it's removed quickly and correctly.

Peace out. --Steve

Well I had my tick head removed this morning, after 39 years of residency. All I can say is, I am really glad that thing finally shut up. Gotta go. The Vicadin is kicking in.......

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bug,

I defer to the expert. I have just had about a dozen that were dug in and apparently didn't have the proper delicate technique to avoid leaving the head in - therefore the need to cut it out.

Thanks for the treatise and congrats on getting the extraction.

I wasn't trying to create a tempest in a teapot but just relate my experience and hadn't checked out the previous threads so thanks for the links.

I hope you have fun with the Vicadin. :D

Peace back and I now understand more about your choice of user name. :tup:

Matt, some confusion here. If you re-read the last message of page one, you'll know what I'm talking about--Bug's quote marks didn't come out quite right. Sorry for coming on too strong: I was really more into the message than trying to be an asshole. Good luck with your ticks, all of 'em, including Bug.

And Bug, I'm sure there's still a voice out there for that alter ego of yours.

Cheers guys. :brew:

Matt, some confusion here. If you re-read the last message of page one, you'll know what I'm talking about--Bug's quote marks didn't come out quite right. Sorry for coming on too strong: I was really more into the message than trying to be an asshole. Good luck with your ticks, all of 'em, including Bug.

And Bug, I'm sure there's still a voice out there for that alter ego of yours.

Cheers guys. :brew:

Thanks pindude. No problems here. Best regards for Bug's recovery.

pulled about 2 off my clothes and one chillin on my neck comin back from Tieton. also snakes are out and gettin pissed off. fun climbing tho.

damn vermin

WTF??? has the annual closure been lifted already???

Calm down turbo, its posted in the Central/Eastern WA forum...

Kevin,

I don't know what you're trying to get across here. My comment was pointed toward the closure being lifted, since he said he had been climbing in the Tieton, the lower basin of which is currently closed to climbing. Clear it up any for you?

Paul,

I was saying that in your response to your excitment(?) to the closure being lifted already, which it has been, as illustrated in the link provided by Kublaicon. Sorry for the confusion, hopefully you're project went well in Oregon.

Sorry for my confusion. I've been working far too many hours of late, and am not quite squared away in the head.

Project start-up went reasonably well, but could have gone better. That's the way of things...