Noob here...

Andy B

Hello there,

I have been in Seattle for about a year and a half now and I am dying to get some climbing in. I am pretty sure I have so far missed the intro course offered by the Mountaineers and the Washington Alpine Club and I am looking for some good beginner advice for some climbs this year. I am in good physical condition and my ultimate goal is to do a lot of climbing in the area. I am just looking to meet some folks to team up on some climbs and learn along the way

Any advice would would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Stone Gardens / Vert World are good places to meet folks.

- Post in the partners forum. Lay out your experience / skill level honestly. You'll have a good chance of finding folks to climb with.

- I see you're in Seattle. Exit 38 is a good place for a newbie to hone their basic skills. Plenty of beginner friendly routes out there. Vantage and L-worth also have climbs at modest grades, once you're ready to go a little further.

- If you really need an intro course, try the 101's at the climbing gyms for basic belaying skills. Private instruction is also available, but will cost you a fair chunk of change.

- Get some good instructional books (Freedom of the Hills, for example) and study them. These, along with some coaching from your new partner(s), ought to get you into leading sport climbs without killing yourself - the basic stuff on clipping draws the correct way, and rigging bolted anchors, rapping off, etc.

The above is what I did - it worked for me.

In addition to the fine advice above:

On days that you don't have a partner, go hiking into places that you want to climb when you have the experience. Get to know the area. Even go up the descent routes if possible to know them well. You will learn many things like personal maintenance, travel on rough terrain and get some great conditioning in too. While out there, practice with the map and compass. While at it, go camping out there too.

Buy everything super light weight but adequate. It may be a little more expensive, but if not now, then you will later.

The rock gyms are a good idea, just be careful with giving your tendons time to recover properly. Tendons take much longer to strengthen than muscle and skill development. Takes years actually. So get in there but don't go balls out and hold back if you feel any twinge. A blown tendon is a very bad way to start a climbing career. Unless you are a teenager who still has their body under warranty.

enjoy! starting climbing is such an exciting time. many of the most amazing memories where from the starting days.

Hello there,

I have been in Seattle for about a year and a half now and I am dying to get some climbing in. I am pretty sure I have so far missed the intro course offered by the Mountaineers and the Washington Alpine Club and I am looking for some good beginner advice for some climbs this year. I am in good physical condition and my ultimate goal is to do a lot of climbing in the area. I am just looking to meet some folks to team up on some climbs and learn along the way

Any advice would would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Find a partner (hopefully who has been out) and do some snow and rock scrambles - routes you may need an ice axe, crampons, and helmut, but no rope.

Ideas? Adams/S. Spur, Mt. Daniel, Snow King, Sahale/S. Side, Snoqualmie Peak, Red Mountain, Kaleetan, Vesper, Sperry, etc.

While debate rages on the pros and cons of the mountaineers and other clubs, they're a good way to get your foot in. Last I heard, the Mounties were doing rolling admissions into small-group climbing groups and lessons. This can be a lot easier than trolling the gyms for partners.

• 4 weeks later...