Summer belay/bivy jackets?

robpatterson5

Hi, I`m thinking of upgrading my summer belay jaket and I`m trying to decide between the BMW ProParka and the MB Montbell Alpine Light Down Parka.

I have a OR Fraction hoody, but its not quite warm enough (I was caught in an unplanned bivy in it in the Canadian Rockies last summer - I survived it but I was COLD).

Usualy I bring a R1 hoody and maybe either a R2 vest or a R.5 pullover as my insulation in the summer.

I really like the look (and warmth) of the Patagonia hooded Micropuff - but want to keep the weight down.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

I am also thinking of layering the MB Alpine Light Parka under my DAS for a trip up the West Butress on Denalli.

Cheers

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks but I`m a medium or a small.

The MH hoody looks nice! Was thinking of trying to keep the jacket under 1lb (if thats even a smart idea), but might have to go for the MH.

Was also looking at a waterproof hooded pullover from MEC, but it only has 60gr of primaloft (the same as the Fraction hoody, but a higher quality fill).

But what is BMW? They are diversifing away from high quality cars?

"Big Malfunctioning"...fingers, of course :)

Anyone used the Montbell Alpine light parka or jacket?

I picked one up about a month ago (jacket). Very warm and not much heavier than the inner jacket and compacts pretty small. It has elastic at the waist and I've read others mention that it "rides" up sometimes. I haven't had that problem yet but have only used it on a few flat hikes so far.