[TR] Ruby - Northwestish Ridge 1/18/2009

JasonG

Trip: Ruby - Northwestish Ridge

Date: 1/18/2009

Trip Report:

After Marko and Colin's TR on Colonial, our trip seems pretty inconsequential . . but since there aren't many reports from this side of ruby and it is an accessible and technically easy winter objective, I'll post a few photos and details.

Trent and I started up last Saturday after realizing that the road as only plowed to Colonial Creek (not MP 134 as advertised). This added about 2.5 miles and 800' to the approach, but we needed the exercise. We left the road just past the scenic overlook, where Hwy 20 turns back to the east. On other winter attempts, I have left the Hwy just before John Pierce falls at a boulderfield. Both ways work, although I think our way this weekend was a bit better. Either way, it is a lot of steep forest and elevation gain before you break out on the ridge.

After about 6 hours and 4500' of uphill wallow, we arrived at our camp (~5700') with views up the ridge to Ruby.

IMG_9214.JPG

Snow conditions were bad with a mixture of breakable crust and knee deep (in snowshoes) mush or powder. Skiing would have maybe been worse (steep, tight trees + bad snow conditions).

Perhaps we should have been across the valley with the men instead?

IMG_9208.JPG

The night was warm, made even warmer by Trent's excellent single malt, and the next day dawned clear. Ross lake was lost in the fog, and all of the peaks were out in their finery:

IMG_9233.JPG

As we got higher, the snow conditions improved as did the views:

IMG_9242.JPG

IMG_9259.JPG

IMG_9260.JPG

IMG_9262.JPG

We took off the snowshoes for the last 500' or so and actually got to do some fun 3rd class scrambling. Although it is a bummer that the summit has a radio repeater on it (be warned so you aren't disappointed), at least it blocks the wind and allows for a long rest to enjoy the view.

IMG_9269.JPG

Before long, we began the march down- which went quite quick. I think it took us about four hours from the summit to the cars, including packing up.

IMG_9286.JPG

Just goes to show that it isn't too far, just a long way up (~6200'). Anyway, for those looking for some solitude and a nice view in the wintertime, Ruby won't disappoint!

Gear Notes:

Flotation, Camera

Approach Notes:

Eat your Wheaties

Edited by Heinrich

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Four of us from the UW were out there the next day and saw your tracks. The inversion made for some great weather up top, it was warmer camping overnight than at the car in the afternoon. I had considered bringing skis but snowshoes were definitely the right call given the unpredictable snow conditions.