• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
CollinWoods

A Book For Mt. Whitney

Does anyone know any good guide books for the "walk-up" rout on Mt. Whitney down in Cali. Im thinking about taking my mom up this summer and she wants a good book to look through before she goes. Thanks.

Collin

You do realize you need reservations a year in advance and you have to pack your poo out I hope.

Reilly is right. They are in the process of shutting down the composting toilets at 12000' (or have already shut them down).

To the best of my knowledge permits are not required if you make a one-day push. Lots of people start at midnight and go for the top.

I have a book on the Mt Whitney walk up route that you can have, it's not the Croft book. If interested PM me and I'll get it to you, maybe meet somewhere, north end.

The toilets are long gone. Now they hand you the porta-poop-bags and pull long faces if you ask for more than one! WTF do we pay taxes for?

Your mom must be pretty buff to be considering 22 miles and 6000' up and down in one day!

Edited by Reilly

There's an excellent description of the the Mountaineers route on Whitney in "High Sierra Climbing", author Chris McNamara, pub. by Supertopo,2004.

I have many books about the area. I think my favorite is "Mount Whitney, Mountain Lore from the Whitney Store by Doug Thompson. It includes the best route beta I've read.

Doug runs the Whitney Portal Store and knows more about the Whitney Zone than anybody and he makes a great cheeseburger. He also has the biggest pancake I've ever eaten. The local guides hang out there and you get updated info from the store.

check his website:

http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/

Lots of permit info and how to climb it.