Ornamental juniper repair

PhöQ

Calling all green thumbs and woody plant experts.

I just aquired an 8 foot potted ornamental juniper from my workplace, it had been situated outside for 8 years and the manager of my store decided he wanted it out, so I snagged it.

The last snow jacked up two branches, one 1/2" and one about 1", both broke at the trunk but are still attached by a section of bark.

I got the tree home and bound the two limbs back into place with zip ties.

My question is since there is a bit of bark/cambium intact will putting them back in place allow them to eventually grow back on or should I do something else to facilitate reconnection??

I fear the zip ties will strangle what life is still flowing but what about a single screw to hold it on or is there another technique that might help.

I want to safe the limbs as the juniper has a cool "bonsai" quality about it and the limbs are fairly key to keeping that look.

Any links or tips would be greatly appreciated, I will post some pics tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bark is a shield. It does not provide anything other than that. By cambium I assume you mean Xylem and phloem. Xylem has water transport cells. Phloem (outside the cambium layer)transports sugars etc.

Weight from the snow removed the structural support that some xylem cells also provided. It also exposed the cells. Some of them will die. The question is will there be enough remaining cells to let the tree transport materials to and from the foliage.

Right now the tree needs to build 4 walls around exposed tissue.

Post pictures!

Right now use a piece of lumber to support the branches. Place this about 2/3s of the way out from the break and behind the tip of the limb.

Tight zip ties will eventually girdle the tree. Just the same as somebody holding a choak hold on your neck (it does take longer with the tree).

Hey Feck, thanks for the response!

Here are some pics as is, the limbs seem pretty heavy thats why I thought the zip ties would help but I agree with the choking bit.

Should i use some sort of sealing tar as well?

IMG_1037.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1036.JPG

IMG_1038.JPG

Those zip ties are too tight. One possible suggestion is to drill a hole through the broken section and install a bolt with a washer on either side. This does some damage, but since the tree is that bad it may help in the long run.

That sealer they like to sell in the hardware store to this day is like snake oil. Do not buy it.

One major problem I see is the pot. Tree roots extend out laterally a long way. Tap roots are for the most part horseshit. A pot like that leads to girdling or kinked roots which do not help the tree.

In general those are some big breaks. I'd say offhand survival chances are low. Go ahead and try some of my suggestions, but don't expect a miracle

edit

The last picture is the scariest. The right side of the break has no live tissue. It looks dead. Removing the right side may be the only option.

Edited by Feck

Thanks Feck,

Without those branches the tree still looks cool, I was just hoping for the full meal deal.

I think I will go the bolt route as that sounds the most effective considering the situation.

Would you suggest a bigger pot or just plop it into the ground? I was kind of hoping for a pot route but its been in the same pot for at least 8 years, might be time for something fresh.

And the tree was free so i'll do what I can to provide it with a happy home.

Thanks again for the tips Feck, I appreciate your input, if i ever see you in person, a six pack will be paid.

Regards, Pho

Ok Feck,

I modified my tools, granted the upper branch lacking the bark might die, I am still optimistic with its survival.

I have my fingers crossed. :whistle:

Here are the new support modifications:

Stainless steel bolt added to support the connection on lower branch.

IMG_1058.jpg

Lower branch has a custom support to the bolt.

IMG_1057.jpg

Upper branch has a plywood brace, bolt and lightly tied zip tie for support.

IMG_1053.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Trees are worth preserving.

Benefits of Trees

Most trees and shrubs in cities or communities are planted to provide beauty or shade. These are two excellent reasons for their use. Woody plants also serve many other purposes, and it often is helpful to consider these other functions when selecting a tree or shrub for the landscape. The benefits of trees can be grouped into social, communal, environmental, and economic categories.

Trees are good

You can find more information at these sites

International Society of Arboriculture

PNW Chapter of the ISA

American Society of Consulting Arborists