Mazama - Goat's Beard

John Frieh

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

super cold over there. it hasnt gone above freezing since it was cold on the west side. i just talked to my dad (who has no climbing experience)and he said there are a lot of thin blue ice bands all over the face.

im not there but if i had to guess, it would be brittle and thin.

Driven by recently and had a look? Picture perhaps? Know someone in the area that could snap a photo?

Any beta/conditions info would be awesome!

This info may be old, but I have (had??) a contact at North Cascades Mountain Guides. Contact Geof Childs at 509-nine nine six-three one nine four and leave a message on his voicemail requesting a conditions update and leave your call-back number. It's been a few years (5 or 6??) since I used Geof's "feature" so I don't know if it's still valid. YMMV.

Alternatively, you could call his wife Diane (assuming he's still married to her) at her store (Winthrop Mountain Sports) at 509-nine nine six-two eight eight six and see if there's anyone there that knows the beta or ask for Diane and ask her to have Geof call you back.

Good luck :wave:

Hey John-

Hard to tell from my work near the Freestone Inn, but it looks pretty discontinuous and pillar-y at this point. I'll try and do a drive by tomorrow (1/2 day off) and snap some pics.

We have had a low snow year + cold temps and my sense is that snow + warm temps need to happen for this to come in. That said, your balls are bigger than mine so perhaps hard mixed on slabby sketchy rock works better for you than me.

Thats said, the snowpack is super sketchy here right now, so perhaps that is another consideration...

you can PM me or e maiL db underscore climbz at hot mail dot com. that may work better than Geof or Diane at this point.

Edited by fredrogers