Broken Ankles...exercises while I wait??

Stefan

Here is my prognosis:

Left foot: Fractured talis bone. No weight bearing for another six weeks.

Right foot: Broken fibia in half. Now wearing a plate to mend the fibia. Permanent for life. In addition I have a pin, and screw to hold a piece of my lower bone together where it meets the talis. I start therapy in two weeks on my right leg when the cast is removed.

In wheelchair currently.

Should I do any leg lifts to help out the quads during the process from wheelchair to crutches?

[ 11-20-2002, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: Stefan ]

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeezus, buddy, forget the exercises, and check yourself into a hospital already!

When I broke my wrist, I started doing movement exercises in the first week. I'd very gently move my hand around inside the cast, just to keep mobility. I also took lots of vitamins, got lots of sleep, and my girlfriend at the time did Reiki on it daily. I got my cast off in 4.5 weeks, and was climbing a week and a half later, after being told I'd have the cast on for 6 to 8 weeks, with a permanent loss of some mobility. So anyways, I'd say do what you can to keep maximum blood-flow to the area, know that you'll recover, and I bet you'll make a quick recovery. Good luck.

yes. I'm not a physio, but do as much as you can to keep leg muscles from atrophying as they can wither away in a remarkably short time and take quite a while to get back. If your health plan covers it, try to get a CT scan on the talus before load bearing. The welfare universal system up here told me to walk on it based on the results of an X-Ray, which only compounded hairline fractures, necessitating surgery to remove unattached talar bits.

Keep the sprits up man, it'll get better [Cool]

Stefan, when you get to the point where you can weight the ankles (spring?), a DAILY routine of calf raises is essential (start by using a pull up board or something to lean on to take most of the weight) to keep the joint from seizing. Fucking up your ankle has got to be one of the most annoying recovery processes; Vioxx will be your best friend. [Wink]

quote:

Originally posted by jordop:

If your health plan covers it, try to get a CT scan on the talus before load bearing. The welfare universal system up here told me to walk on it based on the results of an X-Ray, which only compounded hairline fractures, necessitating surgery to remove unattached talar bits.

Yes, they would have done a CT on the talus when Stef got the second opinion he promised me he was going to get. You did that, right, old boy? Remember what I told you yesterday about me being non-weight-bearing for ten weeks after the subtalar fusion I'm having next spring? I seriously doubt you want to go through that! [Eek!]

Having experienced my share of "breaks", though not an ankle, I'd say whatever you can do to maintain your muscle mass will help in the long run. Obviously for the broken fibia and fractured talus, you're going to want to do unloaded lower body exercises -- you can do plenty for the upper body in a seated position, and even use an upper body ergometer, maybe swimming when the cast comes off, but for now for the legs, you can do leg raises from a supine (on back), prone (on stomach) and side positions to keep the hips, glutes and quads active and increase blood flow to the lower extremities. And make sure you get plenty of protein. I'd strongly encourage you do any strengthening in conjunction with the recommendations from your sports med team (hopefully they believe in an aggressive approach.) Above all else, avoid anything that will set you back any further. Breaks are serious. PT will help. But you'll likely need to do quite a bit on your own post-PT to return you to where you want to be. Good luck.