• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
mike1

Old climbing book

Someone out there must have a copy of the Guide to Leavenworth rock-climbing areas by Fred W Beckey. Please share a little about it. Is it dated... cool as a collector? Or a worthwhile guide book as a supplement?

Is it dated...Yes!

cool as a collector? Of course!

Or a worthwhile guide book as a supplement? Not really valuable at all. Still fun to read over a beer while watching TV

It was paperback. Folded and stapled.

I've got Fred's Darrington and Index Rock Climbing Guide, published in 1976.

It has a picture of Dianne Dailey on the cover climbing the 10a section of Pisces when it was 5.8. Just about every route (all 18 of them) on the Lower Wall includes a pin list.

I have the old folded stapled exit 32 guide. It lists a bunch of routes on Rattlesnake Ledge that seem to have since disappeared into oblivion. Old books are pretty fun sometimes. I have a great hand drawn and written squamish book too.

Someone out there must have a copy of the Guide to Leavenworth rock-climbing areas by Fred W Beckey. Please share a little about it. Is it dated... cool as a collector? Or a worthwhile guide book as a supplement?

Beckey/Bjornstad 1965 is good if you wish to return to simpler times

p_57_Snow_Creek_Wall.jpg

or for historical research on bushes

p_59_detail.jpg

Wow, that's pretty cool. Thanks for posting it! I'm a big fan of the old books and will likely try to get a copy of this. What about geologically though? Becky does a fair job breaking down some the geological history in his CAG's and I've been successful at acquiring some cool USGS pubs on the Olympics and the Cascades, but haven't seen much for the Alpine Lakes area.