One-arm pullups

Recently on the pullups/pull downs thread the one-arm pullup came up. Suggestions on how to train to be able to do one:

1) first, be able to do at least 15 bodyweight pullups before even attempting these next variations.2) Loop a towel over the bar and place your strong hand about 2 inches below the bar around towel, complete first set with weak arm around bar; second set, reverse hands, do as many as you can for twice through (4 sets.)3) Keep moving hands farther down the towel until you can get your chin above the bar with hand about 8 inches down the towel (i.e. little assistance)4) Then start to add negatives, with foot assistance on a bar or jibs, so you don't tweak tendons as the arms and back fatigue.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Adding negatives just means using something for assistance or "cheating." i.e. putting one foot on the floor for a little aid when you are gettig tired...doing this allows you to increase reps, it's like lower the weight of what your lifting (in this case you!)

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: epb ]

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: epb ]

Negatives: lowering phase (i.e. chin over bar, then slowly lower your weight. If it involves hopping up to get there, so be it.)

Nope, weak arm on the bar. Try it. You're taking the strong arm out of the equation somewhat by moving it down the towel where it can't contribute as much, training the weakest link first. I know, it's hard...