ACL/Meniscus Surgery

Hubby saw the orthopedist today and has to have surgery. He'd hurt his ACL a couple of years ago, but could still do stuff (climb hood, ski, etc) wearing a brace. But he blew out his knee doing a Crossfit boot camp.

The one thing the doctor said and made him repeat was no skiing this coming year. Needless to say the kids and I are so bummed. Oh, we'll still buy our passes, but it just won't be the same without him.

I know nothing about knees and/or surgery. Is the doc just being cautious or after surgery on your ACL and Meniscus, should you really not ski for 8-12 months? That's the time frame he was given.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Many factors could be at play here: amount of damage, amount of scar tissue, etc. Until the doc gets in there to see he or she is being cautious but that being said rehab for most patients takes about 6-8 months. I have seen a few patients who return to quickly to sports that may over stress not completely rehabed knees and have further problems down the road. Everyone heals and rehabs at a different pace but with a Physical Therapist who understands your husbands goals and strength/flexability needs he should be good to go for winter 09/10!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. :grin:

Edited by Tokogirl

I ran a half marathon on the 6 month anniversary of my surgery, then started climbing 2 years after surgery (had never climbed before). I waited for 3 years before skiing again, but that's because I was really afraid of re-injury and I didn't miss skiing a whole lot. To me, nothing is worth having ACL surgery again!

My doctor told me that since I had a patellar graft, the tendon they borrowed from would need 3 years to heal completely. And my surgery knee is really strong, but the ACL in my other knee could be more at risk..

I agree with Tokogirl and I'd also like to throw in that the type of surgery can affect recovery time too (is it hammy or patellar or cadaver). Hammy usually comes back faster...having known a lot of folks who have had both.

I had mine done with the patellar tendon and was skiing on groomers five months after with the big ol' brace and felt pretty confident...

$.02

I was cleared to ski at 8 months, with a brace, and had the hamstring graft, but my knee doc was a skiier. I actually started skiing at 9 months on the groomers. The main driver of your return is getting strength back in rehab. Based on the reading I did and conversations with my surgeon, full graft strength is typically at 15 months but both the hamstring and patellar tendon graft are ~3x stronger than the native ACL when fully incorporated, and are likely stronger than the native ACL by 6-8 months. The main concern is whether you have recovered the muscle and mechanics to stabilize the knee so you don't stress the ACL.

His orthopedist will be able to assess things more accurately after the surgery and along with the physical therapists will get him on a good recovery time line.

Hope he will be out skiing by next spring, especially if we have another winter like this past one! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I had a hamstring graft ACL replacement in 1999. Climbed in Alaska 6 months post-op and consider the repair stronger than the natural knee. I have no pain or indication whatsoever that there was ever a procedure done. I had a great surgeon who was doing about 5 or six of these per week. A real arrogant bastard...who knew his shit.

Thanks Fairweather. It's great yours turned out so well.

I'm hoping hubby's doc is a good one. His doctor referred him to a place hubby had heard about so didn't do a lot of research. I just wish he'd get it done. I know it bothers him. But he's got a trip to Macao coming up so he can't have it done until his return and now that he knows he can't ski is wondering if he should just wait until soccer season is over with (he coaches) which would push it out to November. That just seems like a long time to be hurting.