Tuolumne guidebooks

ericb

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The supertopo guide is good.

If you liked the Tahoe Supertopo, you'll like the Tuolumne Supertopo. It has a little more description/history on some of the climbs than in the Tahoe book.

Of course, there's a more extensive falcon guide with a more comprehensive list of routes, but a "select"-type guide like the supertopo will do you just fine for a first trip or a short trip.

Super-topo has max beta if you like it. For longer routes, I find this very helpful. Plus you can buy it on-line for like $10 and have it instantaneously and print out only the sheets you want and bring them with you on a climb.

It has all the classics you'll want to try and a good range of routes.

The guidebooks are both good. R & F will tell you what most everything is. Supertopo will sort it down to the classics and keep you safe if you are a relative newbie. Being as you are a well-paid professional (I think) you should buy both.

Eric what's on your hit list?

Still figuring that out...Cathedral Peak and Matthes Crest, and looking for a couple more. We've only got 4/5 days so probably need to think about some shorter approaches. I'm a little rusty on lead but felt good on Index 5.8+ last weekend. I'm not sure how the grades compare but I think they are pretty similar, so some 5.8 or a well protected 5.9 crux routes might be good.