What is the coldest....

Maine-iac

Damn Sobo, 120 customers?? I am assuming you were driving? I always remember having to dive over the snowbanks out of the way of the oncoming plows, and then dive back to move my bike out of the way.

I am looking forward to this winter, I am planning my own NH adventure up Washington, or up Katahdin.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn Sobo, 120 customers?? I am assuming you were driving? I always remember having to dive over the snowbanks out of the way of the oncoming plows, and then dive back to move my bike out of the way.

I am looking forward to this winter, I am planning my own NH adventure up Washington, or up Katahdin.

I did not get my driver's license until I was 16 yoa. I was in the 8th grade (14 yoa) when I was delivering papers. I would ride my 10-speed (purchased with my paper route money :) ) to the drop-off point, load my bag, and walk the route each night and weekends (Wednesdays and Sundays required that I return to the drop-off point to restock, the papers were so big). And I walked each paper up to the front door (unless the customer wanted something different). The winds were so fierce, and the winters so cold, in Idaho Falls, and they didn't give you rubber banded papers, so it was my idea to walk each paper up to the front door, open the screen door, drop the paper in, folded side down, and quickly close the screen door, so that when the customer opened the inner door, it dropped into their entryway headline side up. They never had to brave the cold to pick up their paper. My customer service ploy was recognized and rewarded by many of my customers. But some of them were just cheap-ass bastards who expected that I deliver their paper for free (they were extremely hard to track down on collection days). And yes, I did my own collections, too, per company policy. I learned a lot from having a paper route, yessirree. Learned about hard work in shitty conditions for miserable pay, providing superior customer service even to those who didn't deserve it, and how to recognize a cheap-ass bastard at 30 yards. :smirk:

I hope you have a blast up thataway this winter. Go climb ice in Huntington's Ravine. It's a way of life.

I posted it elsewhere but I have seen liquid helium cool through the superfluid phase transition. I think we got it down to about 100mK or -273C with a dilution refrigerator. Here's a picture, although it's hard to see anything. If you look closely you can see the top of the liquid helium in the cylindrical sample volume.

lhe.jpg

Yeah, for all of your people that do not tip your mailman or paperboy, you suck. We hate people like you, and if you ever wonder why it's raining and your paper is not bagged, I will give you a hint...... It is because you are cheap bastards. My favorite trick was to bag a wet paper and give it to the guy that never tipped me, or was just a plan tool.

I too put all of my papers in the front doors, but luckily I could bike the whole thing on my sweet singlespeed/trick bike with massive racks on the back. The bloody thing would always flip-over or break either when I was late or it was raining. Good times....

I don't think I will be-able to make it into Huntington's Ravine for the ice, I will probably/ just be on the mountain either for the hike to the top, or to ski Tucks.

-82 deg F at Cold Foot, Alaska in 1999.

That -82 is without windchill?

I used to live in interior AK. My dad's job for a while was testing electronic equipment in extreme cold for the army.

I walked to school everyday, but if it was colder than -50, school was canceled. Coldest day I remember was -65 and my dad claims he experienced -70 during field testing. That is all without windchill - usually those really cold days were eerily calm.