Alpine Hammers

darb

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, it seems that some retailers list the product when they don't have it in stock.

The above link did have one in stock, but someone bought it yesterday ...

Grivel has discontinued the product for some reason.

Anyone have any suggestions for similar products with other brands.

There is the Petzel Bongo, but that is getting a little heavy for me.

Get a used Forrest Mjollnir like Fenderfour says. It had interchangeable picks and the thing was an incredible advance for the time that in some ways has not been matched.

Forrest_Mjollnir_with_saw_blade.jpg

See the screws there? They unscrew and you can put on a classic alpine pick (like a regular ice axe has), a drooped Ice pick like the ice tools today have, a tubular water ice pick like the Lowe Hummingbirds had, a little nub of a thing perhaps to whack in a copperhead (also invented by Bill Forrest), and a rock climbing pick like the picture here shows.

miollnirhammers02.jpg

Tubular waterice pick

mollnirhammers01.jpg

Rock pick top - Ice pick bottom: note the improved handle on that one.

The Forrest Mjollinor looks like a sweet tool. Fibre glass handle? Weight?

Obviously there is a bit of a vacuum when it comes to alpine hammers. The CAMP Verdon not availed in NA, the Grivel Thor pretty much all gone and discontinued for whatever reason, but I did actually find one.

Yeah, fiberglass handle. Good balance not too heavy, it's an alpine thing, not something you'd want on a wall unless there was only a few pin placements - I'd guess 12 oz maybe? The versatility is amazing. If you get on anything steep that needs 2 tools, carrying one of these in case you drop a tool is very worthwhile. I pound bolts with mine on occasions and it does OK, not as good as the heavy Kong Eagle, but it's nice not to have to lug the extra weight into remote areas, and you can use the alpine pick to clean cracks in addition to banging in pins.

I have some extra picks for it I'll sell if anyone needs them.

Just personal bias but I wouldn't buy the Forrest hammer when they were new and had the chance. It is heavy and the hatchet handle funky. I do have an original Forrest wall hammer which I still use. More durable than the Chouinard wall hammer imo. At least three versions of the Chouinard Alpine hammer were made. They still come up here and on Ebay from time to time. I like the third version, longer handle (hickory as in all the versions) with a full set of teeth and a lightened head.

Works great with hammerless ice tools for placing gear and cleaning cracks. A few emails to Black Diamond might get the Alpine hammer reintroduced.

$80 to $100 is the going price for the Chouinard apline hammer in good shape on Ebay these days.

Good point re: Chouinard Dane. I have the Forrest wall hammer too and love it. As far as finding one, just keep your ear to the ground. I saw on Supertopo that a dude was selling a A5 hammer. I always wanted one *COUGH *gearwhore* COUGH. I need another hammer like I need hemmoroids.

Here is the A5 Hammer: A5_Hammer_used_off_ebay_before.jpg

Top Forrest Mjollnir, center is the Forrest wall hammer, bottom is the Bridwell designed Kong Eagle - heavy version, they make 2.

Forrest_Mjollnir_Forrest_wall_Hammer_Kong_Eagle.jpg

-however-

A quick glance, some heavy breathing, BAMMMM, and she was mine, oh yes, and shes all mine! BTW, unlike my old Chouinard alpine hammer which I lent out and never got back, this is not in the loaner pool:-) Interesting point, I think I paid $20 for that Chouinard brand new.

Link

JH was talking about reviving the hammer, and if he does I'll probably buy one of those as well.