Luna Col to Fury's S.E. Glacier

Jopa

I am curious to hear from those who have traversed from Luna Col to Fury's S.E. Glacier. Is it mostly exposed ridge walking or are there sections that require protection? Any tricky spots getting to the glacier? Is it pretty much a walk-up once on the glacier?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The conditions we encountered a couple of years ago in July were: 1) An exposed ramp to access the ridge on the north side which involved some mixed climbing; 2) No pro necessary for the hike along the ridge; 3) Some navigation necessary to access the glacier that had some 4th class exposure on steep rock; 4) It was steep getting over the schrund near the top of the glacier. I don't remember ever roping up though.

Sidehilling for what feels like DAYS through snow, slabs, rock, scree, talus, and football fields of heather....not really effective to rope up for any of it, though, as I recall....the views of the Southern Pickets from that traverse are mind-boggling.

I remember it being pretty straight forward, they view from the col looks intimidating but there's a nice sidewalk on the north side. Select climbs mentions a 5th class step and we stayed climbers right on the way in and down-climbed the left side on the way out. There was a rap sling here and that was the only spot that I thought could be 5th class on the ridge. The views are great from the ridge, here's some pictures from a few years back.

Start of the ridge from Luna Col

start_e_ridge.jpg

Farther along the ridge

on_the_ridge.jpg

One of the rock steps

rock_climb.jpg

Down climbing

rockdwnclimb.jpg

I remember a couple of short 5.6 bits, definite route finding also, might be tricky if it got dark. You definitely have to drop off the ridge right and left to get around cliffs and near the end go way left(exposed), unless you want to go direct on the ridge and do some loose 5.7 near the glacier.

MIDDLE-PICKETS.jpg