Speech Recognition Software

rmncwrtr

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure hope not, Sherri, since this is a serious request for info. I'm in a lot of pain, in wrist braces and can't afford to take time off from the keyboard so any spray would really suck right now. I have a huge project due on Monday that I was already way behind on due to being sick in April and hubby's travel schedule. Playing catchup is probably why this happened.

I didn't mean you were about to unleash the spray, hon; I was afraid it might give certain other folks big ideas.

So sorry to hear about your wrists and the pile of work hanging over your head. That sucks. :(

I remember seeing a thread on supertopo about that awhile back(I think they were accusing one of the more verbose members of using that method). Not sure if an inquiry post there would be help you find what you're looking for--some folks there seemed to know about it, but there was also quite a heated discussion, as I recall.

We'll think good thoughts for you, love! :kisss:

consider just loading Parallels and windows XP onto your mac (if you have an intel based mac). Then you can use Dragon right in Windows. The windows install is about 4.5G. Toss in open office for writing and you're set...

Thanks Sherri and Dave :kisss:

Told hubby about the parallels/dragon suggestion and he told me my ibook wasn't an intel-based. He checked the system requirements for Mac Speech Dictate. Intel based mac required. He's looking into ergo keyboards. I mentioned a new computer, but he just gave me the not-going-to-happen-look :cry:

He's looking into ergo keyboards.

You may want to point your husband at Kinesis -- they're based in Bothell. I've used one of their contoured keyboards for ~13 years now. I used to have ulnar tunnel syndrome, and this keyboard was a lifesaver for me. They also have very responsive customer service.

I can't recommend them highly enough.

The only downside is they're not cheap -- $300+

Thank you! :kisss: Emailed him your post. He talked to enough people today to know we're going to have to order something from the Internet. Probably won't do any good with this project due to timing, but at least I'll have it for the next. And whatever I buy will be tax deductible.

fwiw, I had a bout of tendinitis from mousing/typing last year. was reduced to one finger typing. mine doesn't sound as severe as yours, but I switched to a trackball mouse (thumb operated) and more importantly a microsoft ergo (split) keyboard. My symptoms dissapeared in less than a week. There was something about the soft keys on the MS keyboard that was just what I needed. The culprit for me was the stock iMac keyboard (older style, not the new flat ones)

this is what I got:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Natural-Ergo-Keyboard-4000/dp/B000A6PPOK

Also important is to take the 5 minutes to stretch before using the computer for a long time: http://www.eatonhand.com/hw/ctexercise.htm

Thanks, Bill. Right now it's the numbness, tingles and pain in my hands and fingers that's the killer. The braces are helping. But I was doing so good climbing in the gym a couple times a week to get ready for outside until this :(

Thanks for the links, Dave, especially the exercise one. I'm so pressed for time with the book I don't have time to google plus being on the computer and not writing isn't good right now! I'm on an iBookG4 so that keyboard probably is not helping matters.