• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Winter

[TR] Neacola Mountains - Skiing! 5/10/2008

Trip: Neacola Mountains - Skiing!

Date: 5/10/2008

Trip Report:

Here's a couple of pics from a recent ski trip into the Neacola Mountains in south central AK.

ski_lines.jpg

terrain.jpg

more_tracks.jpg

Other words and images can be found at the blog. :nurd:

Gear Notes:

a shovel, PBR and Wild Turkey

Approach Notes:

super cub

Sweet!

So it sounds like you went to the top of the col of the east couloir on Chackachamna (the couloir to the right as looking at it from camp)?

That is indeed a beautiful area. I enjoyed the TR; thanks for posting!

Pax, looking up at the gully you guys climbed, we were probably two gullies to the climber's right - or NE from there. It didn't top out close to the summit but at a col below a subsidiary or false summit. Shorter and not as steep. The deep new snow prevented us from trying for the summit, b/c by the time the weather cleared the two gullies that led towards the summit were seriously letting loose, but they look like great ski lines in the right conditions.

Nice photos! The conditions look excellent!

I saw your post about the NSB / Whaling Commission; my wife and I are friends with Layla Hughes and we've been watching the developments up there. Good work. :tup:

cool, didn't realize you knew layla. need to get her back out on the rock at some point.

btw, thanks for the pm's with beta. we ended up skiing at whittier one day and then got shut down at hatcher b/c we woke up too late and missed our window, but it could've been good.