Rainier weather decipher help needed

LeeH

I am with a group of 4 planning on a Rainier summit approach through Paradise, Cp Muir, Ingred Direct early morning hours of Sun 5/11 (starting from Paradise VC @ 9AM, Sat). Having a hard time deciphering weather as I am from Portland area not many of our group have been able to watch forecast and relate to on mountain conditions. The forecast calls for a "Weak coldfront" and chance of showers Sat & Sun, w/Sat snow level @ 6kft to 3kft Sun morning. Could use your advice on what this means as it relates to persistant, occasional white outs, expected wind strength, clouds, etc. Would also welcome your opinion on how risky an attempt would be in this weather. Thanks for your help,

Lee

Edited by LeeH

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not say "GO FOR IT!" but I would say, go up there and get your toes wet. See what it is like with an eye on your escape.

My primary concern would be the 45mph winds at the summit. They could be just as strong lower down and you could find yourself in a screaming whiteout. Or they could be worse than that. This would be a good time for liberal use of wands and GPS.

And, since the cold front is moving in Sat,you could have clear skies in the AM that turn into a fierce linticular in the afternoon.

But most likely it will just hammer you at Muir.

The forecast calls for a "Weak coldfront"

Fri_May_09.gif

can you see the long front from the tip of the Charlottes all the way down till it basically shoots out perpendicular to the Cali/Orgegon border

that skinny thing is the weak part, the stuff between that and the Aleutians is the big upper trough that gives you problems sunday.

this image from 1pm fri may 9